For admission to the MSc programme Integrated Product Design, applicants must send a portfolio of work samples as one of the most important aspects of the application.
Portfolio requirements IPD
The digital portfolio should include work samples from your previous education programme(s). Projects resulting from working experience may also be added to the portfolio.
Quality is more important than quantity. The portfolio should show the whole range and variety of skills, development and experience, reflecting your personal interests. It should emphasize your appropriateness for the MSc Integrated Product Design.
The portfolio should consist of at least 2 and at most 10 projects.
Projects should show the design process you followed. This could be by research and exploration of a product from beginning, through intermediate sketches (sketches must show visual and verbal idea development and problem solving), calculations and considerations (including aesthetical decisions, ergonomical decisions, engineering considerations, material selections and production process choices) to a final product description (including a presentation drawing or rendering of the final product).
How to prepare the portfolio
- On each project, write the project title, your name, and indicate when you carried it out.
- Clearly indicate exactly which role you played in the creation of the work submitted.
A. Was the work for a class assignment or something you pursued on your own?
B. What inspired the work?
C. What were your goals?
- For each project, write a descriptive paragraph explaining the design concept and solution. If you have done any user research as a part of the project, mention this in the paragraph.
Send finished drawings and sketches of original product design concepts. Sketches must show preliminary visual and verbal idea development and problem solving. They are an example of how you develop and organise your projects and ideas.
If you want to show a short presentation, in addition to your PDF portfolio, it is possible to make a video of 1 minute max. Please include an online link (e.g. youtube or vimeo) in your PDF portfolio.
Size of the portfolio
- The portfolio should be uploaded in pdf format and not exceed 20 MB.
- The number of pages should not exceed 30.
If there are questions about these guidelines, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.