The department of Materials Science & Engineering has a large collection of state-of-the-art equipment for teaching and research, for example:
- Optical microscopes, including a confocal microscope, with the necessary preparation facilities. These are used to study material microstructures, both during practicals and for actual research. The course Characterisation of Materials pays attention to optical microscopy.
- Surface analysis equipment, such as a Scanning Electron Microscope, microprobe, Auger, and XPS. The principles of the underlying techniques are taught in the courses Characterisation of Materials and Advanced Characterisation.
- Diffractometers to determine crystal structure, texture and perform stress measurements. The basics of this technique are taught in the Characterisation of Materials course.
- Thermomechanical simulators (Gleeble) in which specific temperature and mechanical loading can be applied. This is used to simulate processes like welding, rolling, etc., processes which are explained in the courses Processing of Materials I and II and Joining Technologies.
- Mechanical testing equipment (both electromechanical and hydraulic) for performing tensile, bending, fracture mechanical and fatigue tests. The basic concepts of these tests are explained in the courses Mechanical Behaviour of Materials and Science of Failure.
- Surface research equipment: corrosion testing, coating application systems, atomic force microscope, etc.. Related modules are Characterisation of Materials, Corrosion and Protection Against Corrosion and Corrosion Science.
General TU Delft study facilities
- University library
Students can use the university library facilities free of charge. You will find an impressive collection comprising almost a million books, as well as magazines, reference works and CD-ROMs. The library also provides a number of fully-equipped workstations for self-study. Read on
- IT facilities
TU Delft offers unique IT facilities: an extensive package of hardware, software and connectivity. Computers in all student houses are connected to the university network, sometimes via a high-speed optic-fibre connection enabling applications such as video on demand. What’s more, there is a special internet provider serviced by and for students, you can benefit from discounts on a laptop and download the required software free of charge.
Academic counsellors are available on every programme. They are there to offer you advice about your studies and provide help with practical questions relating to internships or exchange programmes, for example. TU Delft also has a team of central student counsellors and psychologists on hand to offer advice and help you look for suitable supervision or guidance. If required, workshops and training courses are available to improve your learning skills.
- Laptop Project
Every year, TU Delft organises a laptop project. This project enables future first-year students to buy a laptop at discount price, before the start of the new academic year. In recent years, students have been able to choose between two models: a high-end and a low-end model. The high-end model has been specially selected by TU Delft and is suitable for study programmes that use powerful graphical applications. The low-end model is suitable for students who do not require such high graphical capacity. We keep abreast of developments with regard to laptops before selecting a new type every year. We look for an advanced, high-quality laptop that offers the best price/performance ratio. The performance level must at least meet the following criteria:
- Robust and suitable for mobile use
- Up-to-date configuration so that all software used during the Bachelor's phase will work without any problems
- Hardware repairs on campus
- 3-year guarantee on the laptop
The required software can be downloaded by all students via the new Blackboard download page. The packages available for downloading have been specifically made for each faculty. These packages are Windows 7 compatible. All students, regardless of whether they participate in the laptop project, can download the software here.
For more information please click here