TU Delft minors for external students
Are you an external student looking to take a minor at Delft University of Technology?
This page contains information about the range of minors offered, the registration process and other practical matters.
Please note! For students at Leiden University and Erasmus University Rotterdam, with whom TU Delft has a partnership, there is a different placement procedure. If you are studying at either of these universities, you should register for a minor at TU Delft through your own university. Students taking a joint degree programme (LST/NB/CT) should register for a TU Delft minor at TU Delft. Students on the joint degree programme MST should register for a TU Delft minor at Leiden.
- Choices of thematic minors at TU Delft
TU Delft offers more than fifty minors each year. The range of minors comprises selection and non-selection minors. These can both broaden and deepen your knowledge as part of your degree programme.
Thematic minors are not automatically accessible to external students. You can see all the thematic minors offered by TU Delft in the total overview of TU Delft minors. Your individual registration will be assessed for eligibility by the minor coordinator. You will only be definitely registered on a thematic minor at TU Delft if there are still places left over after the closing of the second registration period for TU Delft students.
TU Delft only offers thematic minors in the first semester of the academic year. These are mainly 30 EC minors, only the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment offers minors worth 15 EC and 30 EC. It is not possible to take a thematic minor at TU Delft in the second semester.
Please note: The timetables in Delft may differ from the timetable at your own educational institution. Besides this, passing the minor is subject to the regulations of the degree programme under which your preferred minor falls. If you have any questions about this, please contact the minor coordinator.
Follow the steps below to register for a thematic minor at TU Delft.
- Step 1: Arrange a second enrolment at TU Delft
If you want to take a thematic minor at TU Delft as an external (bachelor) student, you must first enrol at TU Delft as follows:
In addition to your enrolment at your own educational institution, you must arrange a second enrolment as a minor student at TU Delft via Studielink.
Under ‘Choose a programme’, choose the Bachelor's programme that is offering the minor of your choice and follow all the steps.
- After arranging a second enrolment as a minor student at TU Delft via Studielink, you will receive an email with your TU Delft student number and a NetID. You will need the TU Delft student number to register for the minor of your choice.
- Step 2: Register for the TU Delft minor
Once you have completed your enrolment as a minor student at TU Delft via Studielink, fill in the online form for your minor registration that will be available during the registration periods shown below. Once these registration periods have closed, you will no longer be eligible to take a minor at TU Delft.
Registration for selection minors: 1-15 April 2021 Registration for non-selection minors: 3-31 May 2021
*the registration period for each thematic minor is shown in the total overview.
- Step 3: Assessment and completion of your registration
Once you have completed your second enrolment in Studielink and registration at TU Delft for a thematic minor, and the registration period for the minor has closed, the assessment of eligibility will take place. This assessment is carried out by the minor coordinator. If you are deemed to be eligible for admission, the minor coordinator will tell the central minor administration and your registration will become definite after closing the regular registration periods for TU Delft students. If you are deemed to be ineligible, you will be de-registered for the minor.
Places for external students are very limited, so you are strongly advised to have an alternative ready in advance.
- You may only apply for one thematic minor.
- Registering does not guarantee a place.
- If you have registered for a selection minor, you will receive an email at the beginning of May telling you whether you have been assigned a place on the selection minor of your choice.
- If you have registered for a non-selection minor, you will receive an email mid-July telling you whether you have been assigned a place on the non-selection minor of your choice.
- To take a minor at TU Delft, you must have an active enrolment on a Bachelor's programme at another Dutch educational institution. If you have been assigned a place on a minor at TU Delft, you must show a Proof of Tuition Fee Payment (in Dutch: Bewijs Betaald Collegegeld, BBC) from your home institution as proof of your active Bachelor's programme enrolment. Request a BBC from your home institution and ask them to email this to email@example.com.
- De-registration after registration
If you have changed your mind about taking a thematic minor at TU Delft and you want to de-register, you should contact the central minor coordination at TU Delft by 31 August at the latest, stating your TU Delft student number and which minor you wish to de-register from. You are responsible for deregistering as a (minor) student with TU Delft on time.
Please note that it is not possible to de-register for a minor and then register for a different TU Delft minor.
- Frequently asked questions
Do you still have questions after reading the above registration and placement procedure? Then first take a look at our frequently asked questions.
For questions about the content of the thematic minor of your preference, please contact the relevant minor coordinator.