Self-composed minor

This information is only relevant for TU Delft students. Do you study at a university in Leiden (including the joint-degree bachelor's programme MST) or Rotterdam or at another educational institution? For more information, please visit the page for Leiden and Rotterdam or External students.

What is it?

As a TU Delft student you may compose a self-composed minor yourself and once you have received prior permission from the Board of Examiners, get this included in the study programme. 

There are some options for composing a self-composed minor: 

  • Compose a cohesive programme of courses that are offered by TU Delft and/or another Dutch university at a third-year Bachelor's level. 
  • Take a thematic minor at a Dutch university other than TU Delft, Leiden University or Erasmus University Rotterdam (LDE alliance). 
  • In some cases when you combine multiple thematic minors (to get to 30 EC) within TU Delft, Leiden University or Erasmus University Rotterdam (LDE alliance).
  • A self-composed minor, project or internship or at a company.
  • A self-composed minor at an university abroad.

You should request approval of self-composed self-composed minor from the Board of Examiners at least two months before you intend to start the self-composed minor, using the form ‘Request for approval of self-composed minor’.

Please note: you may not include Master's courses or courses from thematic minors in your self-composed minor. For the application requirements that apply to self-composed minors, see the relevant faculty and the teaching regulations of your degree programme.

Additional information

  • In some faculties you can gain practical or international experience by opting to take a self-composed minor abroad or an internship. Find out what is possible at and, for internships, contact the faculty (international) internship office.  
  • Please note: if you plan to go abroad, you will need to arrange a lot of things during the second year of your Bachelor’s degree programme already. 
  • Sometimes, taking two thematic minors of 15 EC in your minor space is considered a self-composed minor. Check this in advance with your board of examiners to avoid surprises afterwards.
  • Another option is to compose a self-composed minor of courses worth up to 30 EC with which you can progress to a different (bridging) Master's programme than the Master's programme that follows on in the same discipline of your Bachelor's programme. For more information about this, please contact the relevant person in your faculty.