Currently, my main research area is engineering and science of the Web. The research specifically considers the role of Web data in the engineering of Web-based information systems. This research on Web data is aimed at improving the understanding of people's actions, interests, motivations, and behaviors on the Web, and subsequently leveraging that knowledge to build Web applications that are semantic, personalized and adaptive.
This includes topics in harvesting, integrating, transforming, analyzing, and retrieving Web data, with focus on the special properties of Web data. A large portion of Web data is human-made, e.g. in social networks or Twitter streams, and this brings scientific challenges in how to effectively attribute meaning to Web data. The size of the Web brings challenges in how to efficiently store, index, and analyze data at Web scale. With my fellow WIS researchers and students, we strive to advance the state-of-the-art in relevant disciplines like user modeling, Web science, information retrieval, Web engineering, Web data management, user interaction, and crowdsourcing.
This research is part of the area of data science, where with Delft Data Science we aim to advance the state of the art in data science in a variety of domains, such as urban innovation, in collaboration with AMS, or online education, in collaboration with TU Delft Extension School.
Further details on the research activities by the WIS team are listed at Research.
Journals and Conferences
Some journals and major conferences I am involved in
- ACM Transactions on the Web (ACM TWEB) (member editorial board)
- Journal of Web Engineering (JWE) (managing editor)
- Journal of Web Science (JWS) (member editorial board)
- International Journal of Web Science (IJWS) (member editorial board)
- the New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia (member editorial board)
- User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction (member editorial board)
- International World Wide Web Conference (WWW) (Web Engineering Chair 2005)
- International Conference on Web Engineering (PC Chair 2007)
- User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization (UMAP) (PC Chair 2009)
- International World Wide Web Conference (WWW) (Web Engineering Chair 2013)
- User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization (UMAP) (General Co-Chair 2014)
- International Conference on Web Engineering (General Vice-Chair 2015)
- ACM Hypertext (HT) (PC Chair 2015)
- ACM Web Science (WebSci) (PC Chair 2018)
Some other roles: former board member of ISWE, International Society for Web Engineering, chair of the scientific committee of SIKS, the Dutch national research school for information and knowledge systems, member of the advisory board of User Modeling Inc.
Some interesting events I am/was involved in
- ACM Web Science 2018 - 10th ACM Conference on Web Science, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 27-30 May 2018.
- TU Delft 176th Dies Natalis 2018 - Foundation Day Lecture "Data and Science we can rely on", TU Delft, 12 January 2018.
- Special Issue on Big Personal Data in Interactive Intelligent Systems - Special Issue on Big Personal Data in Interactive Intelligent Systems in ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems.
- ACM HT 2017 - 28th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, Prague, Czech Republic, July 4-7, 2017.
- ACM HT 2015 - 26th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, Cyprus, September 1-4, 2015.
- ICWE 2015 - 15th International Conference on Web Engineering, Rotterdam, the Netherlands, June 22-26, 2015.
- UMAP 2014 - 22nd Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization, Aalborg, Denmark, July 7-11, 2014.
- ICWE 2014 - 14th International Conference on Web Engineering, Toulouse, France, July 1-4, 2014.
- WebSci 2014 - ACM Web Science 2014 Conference, Bloomington, USA, June 23-26, 2014.
- UMAP 2013 - 21st Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization, Rome, Italy, June 10-14, 2013.
- Web Engineering at WWW2013 - 22nd International World Wide Web Conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 13-17 May 2013.
- IJSWIS special issue on Semantic Social Media Dynamics - Special issue on Semantic Social Media Dynamics in International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems.
- WISM 2012 (@ ER 2012) - Ninth International Workshop on Web Information Systems Modeling, at ER, October 2012.
- ComposableWeb 2012 (@ ICWE 2012) - Fourth International Workshop on Lightweight Integration on the Web, at the International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE), July 2012.
- AUM 2012 (@ UMAP 2012) - Second International Workshop on Augmented User Modeling, at the international conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP), July 2012.
- CATCH day - Cultural Heritage Getting Social: Trust and Authority in the Crowd, NWO CATCH day at the SEALINCMedia project, May 2012.
- MultiA-Pro (@ WWW 2012) - International Workshop on Interoperability of User Profiles in Multi-Application Web Environments, at World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April 2012.
- MDWE 2011(@ ICWE 2011) - 7th Model-Driven Web Engineering Workshop, at the International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2011) in Paphos, Cyprus, June 2011.
- ComposableWeb 2011 (@ ICWE 2011) - Third International Workshop on Lightweight Composition on the Web, at the International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2011) in Paphos, Cyprus, June 2011.
- DAH 2011 (@ ACM Hypertext 2011) - International Workshop on Dynamic and Adaptive Hypertext, at the ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia (ACM Hypertext 2011), in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, June 2011.
- AUM 2011 (@ UMAP 2011) - International Workshop on Augmenting User Models with Real-World Experiences to Enhance Personalization and Adaptation, at User Modeling, Adaptatin and Personalization (UMAP 2011), in Girona, Spain, July 2011.
- WISM 2011(@ ER 2011) - Eight International Workshop on Web Information System Modeling, at the International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER 2011), in Brussels, Belgium, November 2011.
- UWeb2011 (@ ESWC 2011) - User Profile Data on the Social Semantic Web
- USEWOD 2011 (@ WWW 2011) - 1st International Workshop on Usage Analysis and the Web of Data
- UDISW2010 (@ IUI 2010) - International Workshop on User Data Interoperability in the Social Web
- WISM 2010 (@ ER 2010) - Seventh International Workshop on Web Information Systems Modeling
- ComposableWeb 2010 (@ ICWE 2010) - Second International Workshop on Lightweight Composition on the Web
- MDWE 2010 (@ ICWE 2010) - 6th Model-Driven Web Engineering Workshop
- LUPAS 2010(@ ESWC 2010) - International Workshop on Linking of User Profiles and Applications in the Social Semantic Web
- WABBWUAS 2010 (@ UMAP 2010) - Workshop on Architectures and Building Blocks of Web-Based User-Adaptive Systems
Web Information Systems group and Education
For more information on the group at TU Delft, including information on vacancies or education, have a look at the page of the WIS group (wisdelft.nl) or follow us on Twitter (@wisdelft).