Linux Command Line Basics
12 April 2023 09:30 till 16:30 - Location: Penguinlab 2e etage, gebouw 36 (EWI), Mekelweg 4, Delft | Add to my calendar
After this course, you should be able to:
- Navigate the filesystem
- Create, rename, move and delete files and directories
- Use a terminal based editor (vi) to perform basic edits
- View the contents of files
- Log in to remote systems and transfer files and folders
- Run programs
- Create your own scripts, chaining multiple commands together
- Put it all together while you run your first programs on the DelftBlue Supercomputer*
*To accomodate participants that do not have a TU Delft affiliation we have setup our own computational cluster so that they can still follow along with all course materials.
09:30 - 09:45 Introduction
09:45 - 10:45 Part 1: Basic file operations and file editing
10:45 - 11:00 Break
11:00 - 12:30 Part 2: Working with remote systems
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
13:30 - 14:30 Part 3: Creating scripts
14:30 - 14:45 Break
14:45 - 16:00 Part 4: Install and run your own scripts on a remote system
Programme subject to change
One day course
25 max. participants
€25,- for BSc and MSc students.
including lunch and course materials, free for DCSE members.
Penguinlab, EWI B36.HB.2.130
Basic knowledge and experience with handling files in Windows explorer or MacOS finder is assumed.
This course is organized in the computer lab of the Mathematics department. You will log in to a prepared environment that contains all files needed for the in-class exercises.
(Running Linux on your own laptop is much encouraged, but you cannot use your own equipment for this course.)