e-Refinery Tuesday Lunch Lecture November 6
06 November 2018 12:30 - By: webredactie-mc
Every first Tuesday of each month we will organize an e-Refinery Lunch Lecture. On Tuesday November 6 we will have the e-Refinery lunch lecture:
Dr. Ruud Kortlever, 3mE-Process & Energy, Large-Scale Energy Storage
Catalysis engineering for the electrocatalytic reduction of CO2 to valuable products
Date and time:
Tuesday November 6 2018, 12.30-13.30
3mE-Collegezaal D (James Watt), Rolls available from 12.25h.
The increasing CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is an issue of global concern, as CO2 is a major contributor to the greenhouse effect.1,2 The electrochemical reduction of CO2 to commodity chemicals or fuels driven by renewable energy provides a unique approach to utilize CO2 as an inexpensive carbon feedstock. However, at the moment there is a lack of stable electrocatalysts that can selectively and efficiently produce commercially interesting chemicals such as alcohols, aldehydes and C≥2-hydrocarbons.
In this talk I will discuss why there is a need for the development of novel electrocatalysts that are able to reduce CO2 to valuable chemicals. I will highlight recently published examples of catalytic systems can tune the selectivity of the reaction by altering the process conditions3 or by using organic additives.4 Also, I will discuss the reduction of CO2 using bimetallic electrocatalysts producing formic acid5,6 and C1-C5 hydrocarbons7 respectively. Additionally, I will give an outlook on the development of new electrocatalysts for CO2 reduction and future research on catalyst discovery in my group.
1. Centi, G.; Perathoner, S., Catal. Today 2009, 148, 191.
2. Song, C., Catal. Today 2006, 115, 2.
3. Kas, R.; Kortlever, R.; Yilmaz, H.; Koper, M.T.M.; Mul, G., ChemElectroChem, 2015, 2, 354.
4. Han, Z.; Kortlever, R.; Chen, H.-Y.; Peters, J.C.; Agapie, T., ACS Cent. Sci., 2017, 3, 853.
5. Kortlever, R.; Balemans, C.; Kwon, Y.; Koper, M.T.M., Catal. Today, 2015, 244, 58.
6. Kortlever, R.; Peters, I.; Koper, S.; Koper, M.T.M., ACS Catal., 2015, 5, 3916.
7. Kortlever, R.; Peters, I.; Balemans, C.; Kas, R.; Kwon, Y.; Mul, G.; Koper, M.T.M., Chem. Commun., 2016, 52, 10229.
You need to register (in view of the catering) by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before November 5, 2018.
Please reserve the following colloquium in your agenda:
December 11, 2018 - Ludovic Jourdin, Wageningen University & Research
January 8, 2019 - Richard van de Sanden - DIFFER