Maria Cuellar Group
I am a bioprocess engineer passionate about interfaces: between microbial production and recovery, between disciplines, between fundamental sciences and engineering, between academy and industry. My research and education style is to address the fundamentals of application‐driven questions through design‐inspired, systematic approaches combining experimental and modelling tools.
How do we generate bioprocesses that are competitive at the relevant production scale? What would an ideal bioprocess look like? If you ask me, it would have the elements shown in the figure below:
These thoughts inspire my research, with the following focus areas:
- Novel process concepts and equipment for integrated fermentation and separation
- Scale up/down of bioprocesses
- Integration of tools for microorganism development and process design
- Multi-phase bioprocessing
I frequently supervise Group Design Projects and Individual Design Projects of the PDEng program Designer in Bioprocess Technology, in collaboration with industry.
Some examples of assignments:
- Comparison of microbial production of compound A vs other routes
- Scale up and techno-economic evaluation of a novel bioprocess
- Scale down of an existing process
- Flowsheeting of an existing process for debottlenecking
- Design of a novel piece of equipment
News from the group
September 27th, 2017
Today three former DIRC members obtained their MSc diplomas in Life Science and Technology: Lisette Gijsbertsen, María Casals Peralvarez and Carla Prat Llenas. Congratulations!
From left to right: Rita, Lisette, Maria, Maria and Carla.
September 4th, 2017
Don't miss our presentations at WCCE10+ECCE11+ECAB4 in Barcelona, both on Tuesday, October 3rd:
"Integration and scale-up of multiphase fermentations" by Maria Cuellar. Topic 6, Reactor Design & Engineering 2.
"Hydrodynamics for the integration of fermentation and separation in the production of diesel and jet biofuels" by Rita da Costa Basto. Topic 6, Biofuels session.
July 5th, 2017
Rita da Costa Basto and Maria Cuellar will contribute with oral presentations at the upcoming WCCE10+ECCE11+ECAB4 in Barcelona! More details regarding the schedule will follow.
June 16th. 2017