At the start of the course, every PDEng trainee drafts an individual training programme. The programme depends on skills and interest. Part of the programme is compulsory, part of it is optional. For trainees who must remedy M.Sc. level gaps, advanced M.Sc. level subjects are available. The training co-ordinator who acts on behalf of the Programme Committee, must approve the training programme. The subject of the individual design project will be determined at the end of the first year.
Each participant will have a mentor for the duration of the course. The scientific co-ordinator of the course will act as mentor in the first year, the professor responsible for the individual assignment will act as mentor in the second year. After one year progress is evaluated. For admission to the second year all first year subjects must be completed. The Programme Committee does the assessment. Before starting the course the participants receive the rules of the assessment procedure together with the certificate of appointment.
In co-operation with personnel management, a supervisor is assigned to every participant. The supervisor sees to it that all rules and regulations are observed.
The programme takes two years (3400 hours) and is divided into four phases.
A general description of these phases can be found here.
- Broadening phase (together with deepening phase: 1100 hours)
- Deepening phase (together with broadening phase: 1100 hours)
- Group Design Project (600 hours)
- Individual Design Project (1700 hours)
All courses are taught in English.
Please read more about the PED PDEng study programme.
The examinational regulations of the course comprise:
- The training regulations. These regulations describe both the training programme in general and the individual programme.
- The rules and guidelines referring to the examination. These rules describe the procedures of (part of) the examinations and the ways of judgement. Also indicated are the terms to be met, in order for a candidate to graduate with distinction.
The complete examinational regulations can be obtained from the secretary of the course.
After successfully finishing the design course, the participant (PDEng trainee) receives a certificate. This certificate is in fact the testimonial given to all personnel members of the university at the termination of the appointment. Accompanying the certificate is a statement including:
- A short abstract of the individual design project and stating of any publications referring to the project.
- A survey of the training received.
- A survey of contributions given by the trainee (PDEng trainee) to the university education.
As mentioned before under Certification, the designer who has finished a certified course is entered in the charter of the KIVI (Royal Netherlands Society of Engineers) achieves the status of Chartered Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng).