Dr. ir. Boeijen, A.G.C. van
Annemiek van Boeijen (MSc) works fulltime for the faculty of Industrial Design Engineering. My research focuses on the role of culture in design processes. The aim is to develop knowledge and design methods & tools that support designers with a culture-conscious approach to design. I am coeditor of the Delft Design Guide, and contributing to the Massive Open Online Course Delft Design Approach.
For more information you can visit my homepage.
Doctorate degree (Dr.); February Friday 13th, I defended the thesis ‘Crossing Cultural Chasms – towards a culture-conscious approach to design’ at the Delft University of Technology.
Master’s degree (MSc.) Industrial Design Engineering at the Delft University of Technology.
- 2000 - present
For the faculty of Industrial Design Engineering, section Design Aesthetics: researcher, teacher and coordinator.
- 1997 - 1999
For Syntens, the innovation network for SME’s: consultant product innovation. For CICAT: researcher for curriculum development at the university in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- 1995 - 1997
For the faculty Industrial Design Engineering, section ‘Milieugerichte produktontwikkeling’ (Design for Sustainability): teacher in Ecodesign workshops in developing countries. For CICAT: coordinator international internships.
- 1992 - 1994
For CICAT and the faculty of Industrial Design Engineering in Delft: project leader, designer and teacher for the Development of Tricycle Project; an international development project in cooperation with organizations in India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam.
- 1990 - 1992
For the faculty of Aerospace and Engineering in Delft: researcher and designer in the field of advanced composites.
Specialisation / field of research
- Culture in design; understanding the concept of culture and how to cope with it in design processes
- Inter- and multi-national projects, and in particular BoP projects; designing for the largest population in the world that earns least
- Design methods; contextmapping techniques and other methods and techniques that support designers to do contextual user research and to create concepts
Lectures and/or coaches students on:
- Design, Culture, and Society (master course)
- Design and Culture (master elective course)
- Design and Cultural Impact (bachelor elective course)
- Joint Master Project (master course)
- Graduation projects (final master project)
- Generic and Professional Skills (introduction to masters)
Delft Design Guide
Annemiek van Boeijen, Jaap Daalhuizen, Jelle Zijlstra, Roos van der Schoor
ISBN: 978 90 6369 327 5
Published in 2013