Prof. dr. Pont, S.C.
Sylvia Pont is Antoni van Leeuwenhoek professor of Perceptual Intelligence. Her main interests are lighting design, visual communication of light, material, form and space, the measurement and tuning of appearance, and art.
Sylvia Pont graduated in Experimental Physics (1993, Amsterdam University). She received her PhD (1997, Utrecht University) for a thesis on haptic perception. 1997-1999 she studied computer aids at Visio, and 1999 returned to Utrecht University to investigate real-world optics and visual perception. In 2008 she moved to TUDelft to work on applied perception for design and design for perception, developing design tools, practice oriented research methods, fundamental knowledge and design frameworks for lighting design and material and form communication.
- PhD: 27-10-1997, Utrecht University, Supervisors: Prof. Dr. J.J. Koenderink and Dr. A.M.L. Kappers, title of thesis: Haptic Curvature Comparison
- Doctorate: 26-4-1993, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Experimental Physics
- Associate professor (0.9 fte, permanent position), Delft University of of Technology, Perceptual Intelligence lab, Department of Industrial Design Engineering, commenced 1-6-2013
- Assistant Professor (0.8 fte, permanent appointment), Delft University of Technology, Perceptual Intelligence lab, Department of Industrial Design Engineering, commenced 1-9-2008
- Assistant Professor (1 fte, permanent appointment), Utrecht University, Helmholtz Institute, Department of Physics and Astronomy, program Physics of Man, 1-1-2004 to 30-11-2008
- Post-doctoral researcher (1 fte, 3 fixed-terms), Utrecht University, Helmholtz Institute, Department of Physics and Astronomy, program Physics of Man, 1-9-1999 to 31-12-2003
- Co-worker Technical Research Centre for the Visually Disabled (1 fte, permanent appointment), Visio, 1-9-1997 to 1-9-1999
Specialisation / field of research
Perception-based lighting design, ecological optics and perception of light and its interactions with materials, shapes, spaces, products (multidisciplinary research combining design, experimental psychology, physics, mathematics, computer vision and graphics)
Lectures and/or coaches students on:
- Advanced Embodiment Design (lecturing)
- Lighting Architecture (coordination, lecturing, practical training, coaching, examination)
- Research and Design (coaching)
- Graduation (mentor, chair)
- PhD (supervision, co-promotor)
Involved in the research project(s):
Jan Schoonhoven Delft
Hendrik van Leeuwen, Marga Schoemaker, Sylvia Pont
ISBN: 978 90 9029 246 5
Published in 2015