Delft Young Academy: our vision
The Delft Young Academy DYA is a platform for the development of academic leadership and of cooperation between early career academics. Future leaders of TU Delft should be capable to think beyond the borders of their own discipline and faculty. The DYA can prepare early career academics for their future roles. The DYA helps to build a university wide network of scientists and a network of external stakeholders (e.g., KNAW, NWO, OCW). This allows members more opportunities to influence academic policy at university, national and international level.
Following de Jonge Akademie, at many Dutch universities young researchers organise themselves in ‘Young Academies’. These academies were formed based on the idea that
- It is important to think about the importance and organisation of science beyond university (and country) boarders;
- there should be attention to the role Early Career Academics can have in the academic policy;
- and that Early Career Academic should have a voice and a platform.
Examples of what young researchers can achieve if they organise themselves are:
- De Jonge Akademie wrote this guide as an introduction to Dutch research and higher education, it serves as a support document for researchers and instructors who are unfamiliar with the Dutch academic setting.
- A smarter Academic Year (an analysis of the academic year in the Netherlands and elsewhere by De Jonge Akademie)
- Climate Helpdesk (Initiated by Scientists4Future NL and the Utrecht Young Academy and co-funded by The Young Academy.)
Goals and characteristics
In Delft the goals of the Young Academy are:
- Spark dialogue and cooperation between disciplines and faculties
- Facilitate that early career academics develop a vision on academic policy and have a voice
- Support the professional development of early career academics
- Connect science, technology and design with society.
At most universities, membership of the Young Academy is reserved for a selected few. In Delft we decided on a different, more inclusive approach. DYA will be a platform with involved members and an active board. To poll the enthusiasm of the DYA community, we organized an event for the community in November 2021.
For who – Scientific staff graduated PhD less than 10 years ago with a minimal contract of 0.6FTE at TU Delft.