Asthma & Allergies
Students with asthma / an allergy can encounter problems with:
- Attendance (of examinations, lectures and tutorials)
- Environmental factors (smoke, dust, etc.)
What can you do yourself?
- Make sure the people concerned know that you have asthma or an allergy by telling them yourself or by using the services of the academic counsellors.
- Find out to what extent your disability may affect you in carrying out possible professions.
- Ask your academic counsellor about a study area that can be controlled as much as possible in terms of ventilation, sun protection, non-smoking, etc.
- Extra support.
- The possibility of handing in an assignment at a different time.
- Spreading out modules/examinations.
Whether these facilities are available to you will be determined in a consultation with your academic counsellor.
If you have experienced a delay in the progress of your studies due to your disability, you could be eligible for financial assistance under the Graduation Support Scheme or a provision of DUO. You can find more information here.