Customised facilities

If you have a disability and/or chronic illness that is hindering your studies, you should contact one of the academic counsellors of your faculty as soon as possible. Through Horizon, the TU Delft offers standard support facilities to help you in your studies: extended examination time and text-to-speech software. Through Career & Counselling Services, you can attend trainings and workshops on personal development and study skills.

There may be times during your degree programme that these facilities no longer meet your needs and you require customised solutions to match your specific situation. These may be intended to help you with your educational programme or to participate in assessment. Assessment covers any assignment for which you receive a mark: online and written exams, as well as laboratory courses, reports, design assignments and other interim or final individual or group assignments. You can discuss what specific facilities are appropriate and necessary with your academic counsellor.


  • Contact your academic counsellor. Together, discuss your request for one or more customised solutions. If possible, show any medical documents that confirms your disability. Check to see if alternative facilities may be appropriate for you as well.
  • Depending on the facility, you will then submit your request to the Board of Examiners In your faculty. The academic counsellor will support your application in dealings with the Board of Examiners. In certain cases, the academic counsellor can arrange requests for assessment-related facilities on behalf of the Board of Examiners.
  • For some facilities that relate to your educational programme, such as arranging a place to study or improving physical access, the Board of Examiners does not need to be consulted.

Important: act in good time!

Arranging facilities can take more time than you think. Especially for assessment, it is important to initiate the above procedure in good time. On your faculty website, you will find information about the Board of Examiners and the time required to process applications. Generally, you must submit your application no later than 6 to 8 weeks before the facility is needed. Is your case urgent? If so, explore the options with your academic counsellor.


The Board of Examiners will assess your request based on the following criteria:

  1. the facility must examine the same competences as the original test/exam
  2. the facility must be efficacious (suitable and necessary)
  3. the facility must not place a disproportionate burden on the educational institution

It may not be possible to provide certain customised facilities.

If the Board of Examiners turns down your request, you may send an appeal to the Examinations Appeals Board within six weeks of the date of the decision. If you want to, you can discuss this beforehand with your academic counsellor.

Tip: If the Board of Examiners has not given its reasons for turning down your request, ask it to do so. More information is available at the TU Delft webpage ‘legal position’ and in the Student Charter. In case you consider lodging an objection, you can contact your academic counsellor and Horizon for more information and advice.

Medical certificates and confidentiality

To submit a request for facilities, your academic counsellor will need access to your medical information. This information will be treated confidentially. Your academic counsellor may refer you to your own practitioner or to a student psychologist or university-contracted doctor for a medical certificate or for advice concerning your request. You do not have to show information from your personal medical file to lecturers or the Board of Examiners.

Customised solutions

Below are some examples of customised solutions. This list is not exhaustive.

Customised solutions for examinations

The following are possible in exceptional cases. You should therefore discuss with your academic counsellor what is or is not possible in your faculty.

  • Time: extra time in addition to the standard extra time for tests and exams, spreading examinations, moving deadlines, additional resits.
  • Location: sitting examinations in a separate room.
  • Study aids: A3 examination paper, dictionary, laptop, headphones, special furniture, use of software during proctoring, etc.
  • Type of assessment: converting a test into a written exam, oral exam, online exam or individual assignment.
  • Other: additional opportunities to visit the toilet.

Physical accessibility and adapted study places

Do you need adaptations in order to be able to work or study on campus? If so, consult your academic counsellor: some adaptations can be arranged by the university itself (e.g. disabled parking, mobility assistance around campus).

Adapted timetable and relaxation of compulsory attendance

The possibilities in this area depend on the course objectives and the degree programme. Discuss this with your academic counsellor. Unfortunately, a delay in your studies may be unavoidable in some cases. If you become delayed as a result of your disability, there may be financial assistance available. Horizon can give you more information about this.

Career and Counselling Services

The central student counsellors, student psychologists and staff at the Career Centre are there to help you. They can offer you short-term personal guidance, and refer you for external support. The central student counsellor can inform and support you regarding studying with a disability, for example, concerning laws and regulations, procedures, financial support, accommodation and individual and group support. Furthermore, Gezondeboel is an online tool where you can start improving your mental wellbeing in a free, simple and anonymous way.


The student counsellors at Horizon can provide you with information and support about studying with a disability, including laws and regulations, procedures, financial assistance, housing and individual and group support.

Know your rights: Relevant laws and regulations

  • Student Charter– see TU Delft website
  • OER (Teaching and Examination Regulations) – see TU Delft website
  • WHW (Higher Education and Research Act)
  • WGB-h/cz (Equal Treatment of the Disabled and Chronically Ill Act)

Questions/More information needed?

Check or send an email to