TextAid text-to-speech software
TextAid text-to-speech software
Do you have a disability which makes it difficult for you to read texts for your studies? Do you read slowly, have difficulty understanding texts or do you find it hard to concentrate while reading? Then the read-aloud program TextAid may be a useful tool for you. TU Delft offers a TextAid licence free of charge to students with a disability.Attention: You can only use this licence for studying. It’s not possible (yet) to use text-to-speech-software during exams
What does TextAid do?
TextAid is an online tool that reads texts out loud while the specific part of the text is highlighted. Whether you want to read a web page or a scanned textbook, or you want to write a text or download a text as audio, TextAid can help you.
Features of TextAid
- 100% web based – for use on laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc.
- A single click of a button and you can listen to any website.
- Text highlighting – Use highlighting while the text is being read out loud. Choose your colour of preference for the text and highlighting per word or sentence.
- Writing aid – Have the text read out loud while you type. You can choose complete words, full sentences or character by character.
- Annotations – Make annotations or notes in uploaded documents.
- Text settings – Change the text display and layout for even easier reading
- Page mask – Focus on smaller sections of text.
- Scan/OCR – Upload content from multiple sources, including scanned texts and images.
- Download audio files – Save audio files of spoken texts to have access to them at any time, even off line.
- Page ruler – Focus on one line of text at a time.
- Speaking calculator – Reads numbers and calculations out loud.
- Text library – Save texts to your own library and retrieve them whenever you want.
- Translation – Translate text in one of the languages available in Google Translate. Listen to the translation or return the text to the original language.
TextAid uses its own Cloud storage. For this reason TU Delft advises students to not save any personal/confidential information within TextAid. The TextAid licences issued by TU Delft are for personal use only. The TextAid user is personally responsible for the use and storage of information in the program.
How to apply for a free license
- Go to my.tudelft.nl or use the mytudelft-app.
- Open Osiris Case (see menu Go To below).
- Click Start Case to start the application and follow the instruction.
- Attach a digital scan of your official statement bearing the diagnosis.
In Osiris Case you can follow the process of your request.
TU Library Conversion Service
Do you have printed versions of sizeable textbooks? TU Library can convert these to PDF for you within 3 days, provided you have access to this service.
For every title (book, etc.), fill in this form and hand it in together with the course material to the information desk at TU Delft Library.
All the previously converted course material in PDF is available via a closed database and is for personal use only. It is not permitted to share PDF files with third parties.
Ask the student counsellor of Horizon if you are eligible to use this service.
Click here to go to the PDF database.
TextAid voor gebruikers