Click on the tabs for the FAQ to appear. 

 If your question/ answer is not listed, please come by our office hours. 

International Office Architecture

  • BG.Oost.240

Open office hours:
Mo-Thu: 12:30-13:30

I want to go on exchange. How do I start?

The most important first step is to decide where you want to go. Check out our list of partner universities and read travel reports from other students (online in our database , or in the yellow binders in our international office). Then, find out what kind of courses the host university offers, what additional requirements are (portfolio/language/etc) and prepare your application!

Do my grades need to be above a certain average in order to go on exchange?

Not only excellent students can apply for an exchange semester. If you are motivated, proactive and flexible and if you can show your capacities in your application documents (combination of resumé, motivation letter, portfolio, grades, etc.), you can go abroad! 

Some universities ask for a minimum average. If we know of this, it is mentioned in the list of partner universities in the column “Comments”.

Should I meet the study progress requirement at the moment of application?

Bachelor students should have finished at least 90 EC from their first two years at the moment of departure. Sometimes the partner university requires you to have finished more credits/be enrolled in the third year at the moment of application at their university.

Master students should be enrolled in the master programme at the moment of departure.

Can I go to another university, which is not on your partner list?

Yes, that's possible, but not as part of our exchange programme. One option is the Global E3 Program, as described under short stay/ internship/ other options abroad. 

If you wish to go to another university, you should arrange everything yourself and you should usually pay tuition fees at the other university. 

I’ve already been on exchange, can I go again?

Yes, it is possible to go on exchange during your bachelor and your master degree. You can even apply for an Erasmus+ grant in both your BSc and your MSc phase. The STIR grant is only offered once during your whole TU Delft career.

Can I do an internship abroad?

Yes, that is possible for bachelor students, but is not arranged by the International Office. You should contact the “stagecoordinator”. Please do know that the environment you will work in is different from a ‘student exchange’ environment. You will usually make a lot of friends during the introduction period of the student exchange, while being an intern is whole different experience, in which you usually have to put more energy in building a social network. Of course internships can have other advantages. 

Can I go on exchange to another faculty than a faculty of architecture?

We have contracts with faculties of architecture of our partner universities. That means that they can demand all credits, or a certain amount of credits at their faculty. We cannot give you guarantees. You can look if we have a contract with the partner university for multiple faculties, that will make the possibility to take part in other courses more probable.


If you want to do another minor than architecture, we advise you to do so in the Netherlands. If you want to study in another direction abroad at a university we only have an agreement at architecture level with, you will have to arrange everything yourself and will participate in a study program as ‘free-mover’ (and pay tuition fees). 

What is the Study Abroad Week?

Every year in October, the international office organises a study abroad week. During the lunchbreaks there will be presentations by the international office on how to go abroad and by students to talk about their experiences. The info-market allows you to have speed dates with former exchange students, to ask all your questions about going abroad!

Can I go on exchange to an Erasmus + country of which I have the nationality?

Yes that is allowed. The official E + rule is: the host country must be a different program country from the country where the home institution (in this case TU Delft) is located and the country (in this case the Netherlands) where the student lives during his regular studies.

When is the deadline for application?

You need to register before 15 December (deadline for the first and second semester of the following academic year). The second deadline is for the second semester only: before 1 June.

If the due date falls on a public holiday or  week-end, the deadline will move to the next working day.

After you have been selected, you will be nominated at the partner university. The partner university sends you information about 'how to apply'. 

Am I obliged to fill in 5 choices of universities?

Only if you have a good reason, you can leave one or more choices open (for example: if I’m not selected for one of my first 3 choices, I prefer to study in Delft instead). You can then choose the option "Only interested in previous option(s)" in the online application form. Please note: If you are not selected for one of your 5 choices, we could consider you for one of the remaining options at other universities. This is only the case if you listed all 5 options. 



How do I apply for an exchange?

To apply for an exchange semester, you should apply at the faculty first. The faculty will decide which students are selected for which universities. The application starts in the BrightSpace group: "Application Study Abroad BK". 

1.      Enrol in the course "Application Study Abroad BK" on BrightSpace

2.      Go to "Content" to submit the Assignment "Application Exchange 2020-2021"

3.      You have to submit two documents to apply:

o   Excelfile: Dowload, fill and upload the Excelfile (link in the application)

o   PDF file:Upload your application document (max size 20 MB) 


For more information, check this webpage and the BrightSpace page.

How do I choose courses?

You have to follow courses at the level of your education. Bachelor students need approval of the courses by the Board of Examiners before their exchange period. For more info, click here

Where can I find information about the courses and the academic year at a partner university?

Most universities publish this information on their website and they will send you an email with this information once you are nominated.

Where and when can I apply for a grant?

You can apply for grants from the TU Delft at the Contact Centre, Jaffalaan 9a. This is for grants coordinated by the TU Delft. You can start applying for the grant at the moment you applied for the partner university. The payment of the grant is often partly at the beginning of your period abroad and partly after coming back.

The international office already nominated me to the partner university, but I didn’t receive application instructions from the partner university yet? What should I do?

Sometimes emails from our partners end up in the Spam email folder, so please check this email folder first!

Please try to find the application deadline by checking the factsheet of the partner university (in the yellow writing case on our desk) or search  Google for “exchange programme <name partner university>”. If you haven’t heard anything and the deadline is within the next 3 weeks, you can send us an email so we can check if something went wrong (internationaloffice-bk@tudelft.nl). 

What is the minimal amount of credits I need to take?

It is your own responsibility to obtain credits abroad. We expect you to participate as a full time student and follow (the equivalence of) at least 24-30 EC. Only in special circumstances you can take less credits.  

When should I hand in my Architecture thesis (AR2AT031 or AR2A011) if I wrote it while being abroad?

You will have to hand in the thesis within 2 weeks after your return to The Netherlands. Please inform your teacher about this date.



How do I make sure my credits are recognised at TU Delft?

Please check this page for more info.

How are the credits converted to EC?

The conversion of credits and marks can be found on this webpage.  

I obtained more credits than necessary?

The extra credits will be stated on your list of academic achievements as extra credits.  

Do I have to write a travel report?

You are required to write a report of your study abroad period (in English). The report should be sent to internationaloffice-bk@tudelft.nl. Some grant authorities also require the travel report. Please check the requirements of the grant. 

Do the grades I obtained abroad count towards my Grade Point Average in Delft?

Grades of the courses followed abroad, that are part of the curriculum, count towards the GPA (Grade point average) in Delft. If you followed extra courses of which the credits are not necessary for your exchange, the grades will not affect your average.

A Learning Agreement is a requirement for the application of the Erasmus+ grant. If you do not qualify for that grant, the following information is not relevant.

What is a learning agreement?

A learning agreement (LA) is a draft of the study plan and not a guaranteed registration for courses. You need to fill the LA as part of the application for the Erasmus+ grant. You will receive more information about the Erasmus+ grant from the International Office after you are selected for exchange to a partner university in Europe or Turkey. You will receive a learning agreement by email and instructions how to fill it.

The LA contains 3 parts:

  • Before mobility: every applicant should fill this part correctly, have it signed by three parties (you, international office BK and partner). You should send it to erasmusgrant@tudelft.nl at least 6 weeks before departure
  • During mobility: you should only fill this part if something changes during your exchange period and send it to erasmusgrant@tudelft.nl
  • After mobility: this part will be filled by the grant department of the TU Delft
Where can I find the learning agreement?

After you have been selected for exchange to a partner university in Europe or Turkey, you will receive an invitation for an information session about the Erasmus+grant application (usually in March/April), or you will receive instructions by email. After this mandatory meeting, you will receive a learning agreement by email and instructions how to fill it. 

I cannot choose courses yet. How should I fill my Learning Agreement?

If you cannot choose courses yet, make sure you make a ‘temporary course package’. You can do this looking at courses you’d like to follow that were listed on the website of the partner university, or based on previous student experiences.

If you choose your final courses, you can update the Learning Agreement by sending the filled ‘During Mobility’ part as a PDF to internationaloffice-bk@tudelft.nl

How many ECTS do I need to receive the grant?

The Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment requires you to take between 24-30 ECTS. Only in special circumstances you can take less credits.

Where can I get my learning agreement signed?

The LA needs 3 signatures: yours, the signature of the partner institution and the signature of the International Office BK. It is allowed to send scanned versions of the document.

The international office BK can sign your learning agreement. You can come to our open office hour with a print of the ‘Before Mobility’ part, or send the completed form in PDF to internationaloffice-bk@tudelft.nl.
If you are going abroad for your minor, the exam committee has to accept the courses before we can sign the learning agreement. You should bring a signed version of the form ‘goedkeuring vrije en externe minor’ to our office or attach it to your email if you ask us to sign the LA.

Can I change my courses during my exchange period?

Minor students changing their courses during their stay abroad, must send a new request for approval to the Board of Examiners. Both the signed approval ánd changed Learning Agreement (During Mobility part as PDF) must be sent to the International Office of the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment.

 Master students changing their courses during their stay should send the changed Learning Agreement (During Mobility part as PDF) to the International Office of the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment.

 The During Mobility part  should also be signed by the host university and the student before sending it to erasmusgrant@tudelft.nl

Can my language course count as part of the 30ECTS abroad on the Learning Agreement?

Yes, you can count the language course. It should be listed in table A. 

What should I fill in table A?

What should I fill in table A?

You should fill the (provisional) list of courses you plan to take at the partner institution. If you follow a language course, you can include it in this table as well.

What should I fill in table B?

In table B you should mention which TU Delft courses you are going to replace with courses at the partner institution. TU Delft courses you take while being abroad (on distance, through e.i. Collegerama), should not be listed in table B.

It is not necessary to include exact course codes in table B. Please use one of the following two options:

·         ‘Minor’ (for BSc students)

·         ‘Electives MSc’ (for MSc students)

The total amount of ECTS in table B should always be equal to or higher than the amount in table A.

I have a different question

Check the website of Erasmus+grant TU Delft! In previous years, the department offered special open office hours in busy periods. You can find dates and times on their website. You could also send an email to: erasmusgrant@tudelft.nl