Communication Design for Innovation (CDI)
Faculty of Applied Sciences
Language: This minor will be taught in English on request.
Maximum participants: 50
Minimum participants: 30
|Criteria: At the start of the minor, you must have completed your foundation courses (propedeuse) and achieved at least 90 ECTS of your Bachelor.|
This minor is open to all Bachelor's students at TU Delft. Students from other universities with a science or technology background can also take this minor. The minor is particularly targeted at students from Twente, Eindhoven, Leiden, Rotterdam and Wageningen universities.
At the start of the minor, you must have completed your foundation courses (propedeuse) and achieved at least 90 ECTS of your Bachelor.
For students who wish to take a 15 ECTS minor, it is possible to take just the first part of the minor and stop there.
What will you learn?
In the Communication for Design Innovation (CDI) minor, you will learn how to design your communication processes and resources for all phases of an innovation process in which cooperation plays a key role. You will acquire understanding and skills that enable you to use communication effectively as an integral strategic component of innovation in order to achieve innovations that genuinely work in practice. Communication will become an intrinsic part of the way you think as an engineer. After completing this thematic minor, you will be a communicative engineer of the future, able to inspire loyalty from strategic R&D partners, spark interest from the government and engage the general public.
- First of all, you will learn what strategic communication entails and how it can be woven into innovation processes.
- Second, you will gain theoretical and practical understanding about collaborating in multidisciplinary teams. You will realise that these kinds of alliances are a fruitful source of innovation and understand how technology, communication and innovation combine.
- Third, you will learn how to analyze and design the social processes in which technology, communication and innovation come together.
- Fourth, you will design the communication resources required to support the process and the stakeholders.
Throughout the minor, you will work on a genuine case from an actual commissioning party in the context of science and technology. In addition, you will take five masterclasses, in which you will acquire skills and fundamental knowledge that you will need as a professional communication engineer.
You will begin your theory modules from day one and apply the knowledge you have acquired in the Communication Lab (C-Lab). The theory modules follow each other, while your multidisciplinary teamwork on communication/innovation design will continue throughout.
Number of contact hours
Modes of instruction
Lectures (8 h), teamwork + project work (20 h), self study (8 h)
- Substantive modules: assignments and exam
- C-lab: report
- Masterclasses: individual or group assignments