(Free) minor information
The faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences offers also minors in English, the other minors are available in Dutch.
In the Implementation Regulations for your study you can find more specific information about the options for a minor.
- I would like to do a minor at the TU
See button aside
- A minor at another Dutch university
It is possible to do your minor at another university in the Netherlands. You can search for them on the university websites. If you would like to do a minor at another Dutch university, you must take into account that this must be a pre-determined minor of 30 credits. You request your minor following the procedure for Free Minor. When you have finished your minor, you show your original hardcopy transcript of grades to the secretary of Education and Student Administration (room. 2.75) during the daily consultation hour from 12.30-13.30 hrs. If you did not receive a hardcopy transcript, or if it is not possible, due to Corona measures, to show a hardcopy transcript, you can request the university to send your digital transcript directly per e-mail to BoardofExaminers-CEG@tudelft.nl. Because of susceptibility to fraud, transcripts directly sent to the Board of Examiners by students will not be accepted. After approval of your results, these will be added in MyTUDelft bij the Student Administration CEG.
- Minor abroad (exchange, study abroad)
The faculty offers several places to obtain your minor at a partner university. See Brightspace.tudelft.nl, organisation Student and International Office CEG.
- I would like to conduct a free minor
A free minor is a self-composed programme of courses (30EC) within a certain theme. There is a clear cohesion between the courses. In Article 4 of the TER you can find more information about the minor. Read this carefully.
- The free minor consists of a total of 30 EC in courses within a certain theme.
- The free minor courses are of post-propaedeutic level and are offered by an accredited university.
- A maximum of 10 EC 1st year courses is allowed, provided that you can clearly explain why you need these courses as a basis for the other courses in your free minor. .
- Your free minor can be broadening or comprehensive.
- Add a minimum of 2 substitute courses to your request. Are you going abroad? Then add a minimum of 4 substitute courses.
- TU Delft (or other Dutch University) MSc courses are not allowed within your free minor. For free minors that are carried out abroad, the Board of Examiners can make an exception for MSc courses if there are not enough English BSc courses on offer within your theme. Explain this in your request.
- Overlap with the BSc major is not allowed. Should there be overlap in courses in a following MSc programme, then other courses must be chosen in the MSc.
- A free, or self-composed, minor cannot exist out of courses that are offered in a TU Delft thematic minor. Participation in thematic minors is only possible via the central registration procedure: https://www.tudelft.nl/en/education/programmes/minor/thematic-minor-overview/
- The BSc programme Computer Science & Engineering of the EEMCS Faculty is a numerus fixus programme. Moreover, courses require specific pre-requisites. It is therefore not allowed to add a course of the BSc programme in the free minor. This concerns all course codes starting with CSE. The Computer Science Minor can only be followed as a full thematic minor. It is not possible to add any of the courses of this minor to your free minor. This means that, in any case, the following courses are not allowed:
TI3100TU Minor Introduction
TI3105TU Introduction to Python Programming
TI3115TU Software Engineering Methods
TI3111TU Algorithms and Data structures
TI3130TU Data Analytics
TI3135TU Visual Data Processing
- It is possible to add an external project as part of your free minor for 10 or 15 EC. You can use course codes CTB AESB3010 (10 EC) or CTB AESB3015 (15 EC) for this. Before submitting your request, you need approval (signature) of the course coordinator: Dr.ir. M.W. Ertsen for your project.
- For Non-EU university courses a credit conversion is used. For the exchange destinations of our faculty, the Board of Examiners has determined the credit conversion. The exchange office can inform you of the right conversion. You can also find the list with calculated credit conversions on the FAQ of the Board of Examiners CE-AES on the student portal.
- It is allowed to add a language course to your free minor abroad under the following conditions:
- For the language course you will receive the number of credits mentioned on the official transcript of records, but with a maximum of 3 EC, also when the course entails more than 3 EC;
- The language course is offered by the university where you will go on exchange;
- The course will be assessed with a grade, which will be included, together with the assigned credits, in an official transcript of records;
- The language course is in the foreign language (other than English) in which the courses are taught at the exchange university and is therefore necessary in order to follow the other courses of the minor and to understand the exchange universities procedures.
- Also see the information in the studyguide concerning the minor abroad ((CT-Mi-170-19).
Submitting your request:
Submit the free minor form, which you can find on the TU Delft website: https://www.tudelft.nl/en/student/education/minor/self-composed-minor/, including all required attachments merged in one PDF-file to free-minor-CEG@tudelft.nl. Please note that a signature of an advisor is necessary. The advisor is someone of the scientific staff of TU Delft who has expertise with regard to you minor topic. The required attachments can be found in the checklist in the application form. In case of a fixed minor at a Dutch university, no signature from an advisor, nor a survey of all course descriptions is needed. A free minor coordinator will process your request. You will be notified by this coordinator about the decision concerning your request. Please take into account that it can take up to 4 weeks before you receive approval.
When you have finished your minor, you show your original hardcopy transcript of grades to the secretary of Education and Student Administration (room 2.75) during the daily consultation hour from 12.30-13.30 hrs. If you did not receive a hardcopy transcript, or if it is not possible, due to Corona measures, to show a hardcopy transcript, you can request the partner university to send your digital transcript directly per e-mail to BoardofExaminers-CEG@tudelft.nl. Because of susceptibility to fraud, transcripts directly sent to the Board of Examiners by students will not be accepted. After approval of your results, these will be added in MyTUDelft by the Student Administration CEG. If, after finishing your minor, you have received a teaching qualification and you wish this qualification to be mentioned on your diploma, please submit a scan/copy of your certificate, stating for which course you have a teaching qualification, to the Board of Examiners by e-mail.