(Free) minor information
The faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences offers also minors in English, the other minors are available in Dutch.
In the Implementation Regulations for your study you can find more specific information about the options for a minor.
- I would like to do a minor at the TU
See button aside
- A minor at another Dutch university
It is possible to do your minor at another university in the Netherlands. You can search for them on the university websites. If you would like to do a minor at another Dutch university, you must take into account that this must be a pre-determined minor of 30 credits. You request your minor following the procedure for Free Minor. When you have finished your minor, you show your original hardcopy transcript of grades to the secretary of Education and Student Administration (room. 2.75) during the daily consultation hour from 12.30-13.30 hrs. If you did not receive a hardcopy transcript you can request the university to send your digital transcript directly per e-mail to BoardofExaminers-CEG@tudelft.nl. After approval of your results, these will be added in Osiris bij the Student Administration CEG.
- Minor abroad (exchange, study abroad)
The faculty offers several places to obtain your minor at a partner university. See Brightspace.tudelft.nl, organisation Student and International Office CEG.
- I would like to conduct a free minor
A free minor is a self-composed programme of courses (30EC) within a certain theme. There is a clear cohesion between the courses. In Article 4 of the TER you can find more information about the minor. Read this carefully.
- The free minor consists of a total of 30 EC in courses within a certain theme.
- The free minor courses are of post-propaedeutic level and are offered by an accredited university.
- A maximum of 10 EC 1st year courses is allowed, provided that you can clearly explain why you need these courses as a basis for the other courses in your free minor. .
- Your free minor can be broadening or comprehensive.
- Add a minimum of 2 substitute courses to your request. Are you going abroad? Then add a minimum of 4 substitute courses.
- TU Delft (or other Dutch University) MSc courses are not allowed within your free minor. For free minors that are carried out abroad, the Board of Examiners can make an exception for MSc courses if there are not enough English BSc courses on offer within your theme. Explain this in your request.
- Overlap with the BSc major is not allowed. Should there be overlap in courses in a following MSc programme, then other courses must be chosen in the MSc.
- A free, or self-composed, minor cannot exist out of courses that are offered in a TU Delft thematic minor. Participation in thematic minors is only possible via the central registration procedure: https://www.tudelft.nl/en/education/programmes/minor/thematic-minor-overview/
- It is possible to add an external project as part of your free minor for 10 or 15 EC. You can use course codes CTB AESB3010 (10 EC) or CTB AESB3015 (15 EC) for this. Before submitting your request, you need approval (signature) of the course coordinator: Dr.ir. M.W. Ertsen for your project.
- For Non-EU university courses a credit conversion is used. For the exchange destinations of our faculty, the Board of Examiners has determined the credit conversion. The exchange office can inform you of the right conversion. You can also find the list with calculated credit conversions on the FAQ of the Board of Examiners CE-AES on the student portal.
- It is allowed to add a language course to your free minor abroad under the following conditions:
- The language course will count towards a maximum of 3 EC in your minor, also when the course itself has more EC;
- The language course is offered by the university where you will go on exchange;
- The course will be assessed with a grade, which will be included, together with the assigned credits, in an official transcript of records;
- The language course is in the foreign language (other than English) in which the courses are taught at the exchange university and is therefore necessary in order to follow the other courses of the minor and to understand the exchange universities procedures.
- Also see the information in the studyguide concerning the minor abroad ((CT-Mi-170-19).
Submitting your request:
Submit the free minor form in one PDF-file to free-minor-CEG@tudelft.nl. Please note that a signature of an advisor is necessary. The advisor is someone of the scientific staff of TU Delft who has expertise with regard to you minor topic. A free minor coordinator will process your request. You will be notified by this coordinator about the decision concerning your request. Please take into account that it can take up to 4 weeks before you receive approval.
When you have finished your minor, you show your original hardcopy transcript of grades to the secretary of Education and Student Administration (room 2.75) during the daily consultation hour from 12.30-13.30 hrs. If you did not receive a hardcopy transcript you can request the partner university to send your digital transcript directly per e-mail to BoardofExaminers-CEG@tudelft.nl. After approval of your results, these will be added in Osiris by the Student Administration CEG.