Visa & Residence Permit

In order to be able to study in the Netherlands, you may need to apply for an MVV visa (entry visa) and/or a Residence Permit for Study. 

TU Delft will apply for the MVV Visa and/or Residence Permit for Study at the IND on your behalf. The IND is the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Services. It is not possible for you as a student to apply yourself.

If you hold the nationality of the EU or EFTA, you don’t need a visa and/or residence permit.
As of 1 January 2021, UK citizens also require a residence permit for study’


In order to apply for your MVV Visa and/or Residence Permit for Study, you need to fulfil the following conditions:

  • You have been (conditionally) admitted to TU Delft as a student.
  • You are able to demonstrate your financial solvability (i.e. tuition fee and/or costs of living)

MVV Visa

The MVV Visa is a document that both allows you to enter the Netherlands and stay legally for a duration of 90 days. All non-EU and non-EFTA nationals need a MVV Visa to enter the Netherlands as well as a Residence Permit for Study.

If you are a national from the UK, South Korea, Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, USA, Vatican City, you are exempt from the MVV Visa. You just need a Residence Permit for Study.

If you are a non-EU/EFTA national, but you hold a valid Residence Permit for another European country in the Schengen area, you are also exempt from the MVV Visa, provided that the permit is valid at least till the day of arrival in the Netherlands.

Residence Permit for Study

If you are a non-EU/non-EFTA national, you will always need a Dutch Residence Permit for Study. The permit allows you to reside legally in The Netherlands during your studies.

Please note: it is not possible to change a Dutch tourist visa (category C visa) or another non-Dutch visa into a Dutch Residence Permit for Study.

To retain your residence permit, your study progress must be sufficient. The study progress is sufficient when you earn at least half of the credits required per academic year.
For more information, please click here.


Should you have any questions about MVV Visa and/or Residence Permits, please do not hesitate to contact us at