Going Abroad

Are you going abroad?

Due to the great uncertainty surrounding the development and spread of the COVID-19 virus, worldwide and being no longer able to fall back on government and business travel insurance in the event of repatriation, (graduation) internships and research projects abroad are not recommended until 1 September, 2021. This means that students will not receive credits (ECTS's) for internships abroad (until 1 September 2021). From the first of September 2021 internships abroad are allowed again, yet only for European countries with a green or yellow landcode. For more information on requirements on internships abroad, contact the internship coordinator (internshipoffice-io@tudelft.nl).

NOTE: Travel is at your own risk. Following the modified Dutch government policy to no longer repatriate citizens in the event of a lockdown, any additional costs incurred and/or any further consequences such as a delay to the study programme are the student’s own responsibility.”

When your internship takes place abroad you have to register yourself at MyTUDelft Stay abroad. This way, you can make use of the travel insurance of the TU Delft. For more details, please visit the Study & Internship Abroad page. Here you can also find more informtion about for example Funding & Scholarships, Safety, Insurance & Vaccinations, Language courses, and Housing Abroad.

If you need vaccinations for the country you visit, please let your internship coordinator know. She can supply you with a form for the SGZ which gives you a reduction of € 50,- of the costs.

Internship without studying in Germany

You can complete an internship in Germany even if you are not studying at a German university or have just finished a course. The only condition is that your work placement should relate in some way to the subject of your course.

Students who are not from EU or EEA countries as well as students from Romania and Bulgaria need a permit from the German International Employment Agency "Zentrale Auslands- and Fachvermittlung der Bundesagentur für Arbeit" (ZAV) (http://www.zav.de) to do an internship in Germany. With this "Confirmation of approval", you must apply for a visa at the German embassy/consulate in your country, or the authorities if you are already in Germany. Visit the following website for the information about the visa: https://www.germany-visa.org. Your prospective employer may also submit an internship application for you to the ZAV.

For a complete overview, visit the webpage at DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service.