Frequently Asked Questions

1. I would like to go on exchange or do an internship abroad. How and where do I start?

The most important first step is to decide what you want to do. Do you wish to study at a partner university abroad? Or do you want to do an internship at a company abroad? The international office at IDE can give you information about studying as an exchange student. You can read many travel reports from other students The following steps can be read in the 'Procedures & Deadlines' section. For internships you can contact or visit the IDE internship office website.

2. How do I apply for an exchange programme at a partner university?

You need to register by filling out our application form. After you have been selected, you will be nominated at the partner university. The partner university sends you information about 'how to apply'. The international office at IDE can tell you more about the procedures and different deadlines.

3. Is it possible to go on exchange to a university which isn't a partner university of IDE?

You can only go on exchange to a partner university. If there is no agreement between the two universities you can ask the international office of IDE if an agreement can be made. This may take a couple of months and we only make agreements with universities which are a good match with IDE and vice versa. So if you want to accomplish this, you should start early.

4. How many credits do I get for my exchange/internship abroad? What is the minimum/maximum and will everything be acknowledged?

Information about internships can be read here: When you go on exchange you need to obtain 30 ECTs in that semester. Only students who follow an old MSc programme can have a different approach (contact

5. When can I choose the courses I want to follow?

When you apply for an Erasmus scholarship (EU and Turkey), you need to make a learning agreement. In this learning agreement you will fill in the courses you wish to follow. It is possible that your list of courses changes when you start at the partner university. Most universities let you choose courses before you start, but keep in mind that it can change.

6. Where can I find information about the courses and the academic year at a partner university?

Most universities publish this information on their website and they will send you an email with this information once you are nominated. You can also use the links in the IDE Google list of partner universities.

7. I want to do my graduation project abroad, how do I arrange this?

Graduation projects are projects of individual teachers and professors. You can read more about this on Graduation.

8. I wish to do my whole MSc abroad, how can I arrange this?

This is possible, but you will have to arrange this yourself. Of course you can use the information we provide to look for the place you want to go to.

9. Where can I find information about MSc programmes at partner universities?

You can look for partner universities of IDE and TU Delft in the exchange database. Next to this there are websites which give an overview of universities and design schools. Examples are Colleges and Universities Homepages Directory and Design School Directory. There are also worldwide databases with master programmes.

10. Are there scholarships and grants for internships and studying abroad?

There are different scholarships and grants for internships, studying and graduating. You can check the TU Delft site or the website of the university or internship abroad. More information can be also found at and

11. Where and when can I apply for a grant?

You can apply for grants from the TU Delft at the Contact Centre, Jaffalaan 9a. This is for grants coordinated by the TU Delft. You can start applying for the grant at the moment you applied for the partner university. The payment of the grant is often partly at the beginning of your period abroad and partly after coming back.

12. How can I ask for public transport substitution (OV-Vergoeding)?

You can download a form from DUO. The International Office IDE signs and gives a stamp for this to approve. Make sure to arrange it in time!

13. Do I need a visa for my destination abroad? How can I arrange this?

You can find information about visa for different countries at In case you need a visa for your destination, you can apply for this at the embassy of your country of destination, located in The Netherlands.

14. Do I need vaccinations for my destination abroad?

This depends on the country where you are going to. For questions contact the Student Health Care (SGZ) (, +31 (0)15-2121507). You get 50 euro discount for vaccinations for your study if you go to SGZ with the TU Delft vaccination form. You can download the vaccination form here.

If your question/answer is not in this list please contact