Making an objection

How to submit a letter of objection

If you disagree with a decision made by the Executive Board on the basis of the Higher Education and Research Act, you can make an objection to that decision. This includes decisions that have been taken about enrolment and de-enrolment, the payment or restitution of tuition fees and financial support (Graduation Assistance Regulations; Rpf), for example. It excludes decisions taken on the grounds of Article 7.61 of the Higher Education and Research Act (see below).

If you wish to object to a decision, you must submit a letter of objection within a period of six weeks of that decision. This period begins on the day after the decision is sent.

A letter of objection must include the following:

  • your name, address, telephone number, student number, e-mail address,
  • your signature,
  • the date,
  • a description of the decision to which the objection is being made (enclose or attach a copy of the decision),
  • the grounds on which you wish to object (your arguments as to why the decision was not the correct one).

Handling the letter of objection

The letter of objection will be put before an advisory committee convened by the Executive Board. This committee will investigate whether an amicable settlement is possible. If an amicable settlement is possible, the procedure will be terminated; if not, the letter of objection will continue to be processed further. A hearing will follow, after which the committee will issue a recommendation to the Executive Board. The Executive Board will then make a decision concerning the objection, which will be sent by post.

Emergency procedure

In cases which require rapid action, you can also invoke the emergency procedure. The chair of the committee will determine whether the case requires rapid action. If so, the committee will issue its recommendation as soon as possible after the hearing; the Executive Board will then make a decision on the objection within four weeks.

Submitting an appeal to the Higher Education Appeals Tribunal

If you do not agree with the decision made concerning your objection, you can lodge an appeal with the Higher Education Appeals Tribunal (CBHO) in The Hague within six weeks of the decision being sent. You can find more information on the CBHO website (, where the procedure is described clearly. A court registry fee of around €41 is payable when submitting an appeal to the CBHO