Submitting an appeal

Lodging an appeal with the Examination Appeals Board

If you wish to appeal against decisions based on Article 7.61 of the Higher Education and Research Act, you can lodge an administrative appeal with the Examination Appeals Board (CBE). This includes decisions made by examiners or Boards of Examiners, as well as decisions concerning binding recommendations on the continuation of studies, exemptions, university admissions tests (colloquium doctum), and admissions to Master’s programmes (for students who have previously studied abroad).

You must submit a letter of appeal within a period of six weeks of the decision. This period begins on the day after the decision is sent. The appeal must be sent to our email address: A letter of appeal must include the following:

  • your name, address, telephone number, student number, e-mail address;
  • your signature;
  • the date;
  • a description of the decision about which the appeal is being made (enclose or attach a copy of the decision);
  • the grounds on which you are appealing (your arguments as to why the decision was not the correct one).

How the CBE will handle the appeal

The CBE will first ask the competent body to investigate whether it is possible to come to an amicable settlement. If that is not possible, the CBE will process the appeal any further. After the hearing, the CBE will make its decision.

Emergency procedure

In cases which require rapid action, it is possible to ask the chair of the CBE for an interim decision while the appeal is being processed. The chair of the CBE will then make his/her final decision as soon as possible after the hearing.

Submitting an appeal to the Higher Education Appeals Tribunal

If you do not agree with the decision made by the CBE, you can lodge an appeal with the Higher Education Appeals Tribunal (CBHO) in The Hague within six weeks of the decision being sent. You can find more information on the CBHO website (, where the procedure is described clearly. A court registry fee of around €42 is payable in order to submit an appeal to the CBHO.