MoMi Study Progress Monitoring

Are you a current or new international non-EU/EEA student, residing in the Netherlands with a Residence Permit for Study Purposes? According to the Modern Migration Policy Act (MoMi), TU Delft is obliged to monitor your study progress.

Your residence permit is valid for the duration of your education. You keep this residence permit if you obtain at least 50% of the required credits for each academic year (Premaster students need to obtain 100%).

Is your study progress not sufficient? TU Delft must then report this to the IND. You may lose your residence permit.

(Exchange students who stay in the Netherlands for only a short period of time (a year or less) are exempted from the study progress monitoring).

What does this mean for you?

  • If you're doing a bachelor programme of 60 ECTS per year, you need to obtain at least 30 ECTS per year to fulfil the requirements. (Please note: you need to obtain 45 ECTS to fulfil the requirements of the Binding Study Advice (BSA) at TU Delft)
  • If you're doing a master programme of 60 ECTS per year, you also need to obtain at least 30 ECTS per year.
  • If you're doing a pre-master or preparatory year programme, you need to obtain ALL ECTS of the pre-master programme by 31 August. This means you must complete the entire pre-master or preparatory programme within this period.

ECTS obtained in (extra) electives are included in the calculations. If you are enrolled in two study programmes, the credits obtained for both programmes may be combined to meet the 50% requirement. 

What do you need to do?

Check during the academic year that your study progress is on track for obtaining the 50% minimum of your study workload before 31 August each year.

Are you on track?

  • If your study progress is on track and visible in Osiris, no action is required. You will be allowed to continue your studies and renew your residence permit if applicable.
  • If you are on track, but you already know that you will not able to demonstrate the required ECTS in Osiris by 31 August, because you are working on a (thesis) project or internship exceeding the study year, you need to fill out the MoMi Study Progress Form and applicable annexes. The form including annexes will be available on this website as from May. 

Are you not on track?

If your study progress is not on track or if you think you might run into problems, you must start taking action as soon as possible!  We strongly advise you to make an appointment with your academic counsellor.

If you think you need support from the TU Delft psychologists, please realise the current waiting time for a first appointment is approximately 9-10 weeks.  

Don’t wait until the last minute to meet deadlines or look for support.

Excusable Reasons?

Should you not fulfill the MoMi study progress requirements, then in the case of exceptional personal circumstances or another valid reason, the insufficient study results might be overlooked. A valid reason means an excusable reason. These are listed in the Higher Education and Research Act. These are:

  • illness
  • physical or sensory impairment or other functional disorder
  • pregnancy
  • exceptional family circumstances
  • board duties
  • the inability to study

You may only use the same excusable reason once with your educational institution.

Please note that excusable reasons do not apply to premaster or preparatory students since they are not allowed to extend their premaster or preparatory year.

Not meeting the MoMi requirements?

If you are a BSc or MSc student and you are not going to meet the MoMi study progress requirements, please explain your [apparent] lack of progress by filling out the MoMi Study Progress Monitoring Form and having the applicable annexes and/or statements signed by the appropriate staff members mentioned in the form.

The MoMi Study Progress Monitoring Form and annexes can be downloaded here:

If your ECTS cannot (yet) be registered due to one of the excusable reasons as mentioned above, you will need your academic counsellor to fill in and sign Annex 1 of the Study Progress Monitoring Form.

If your ECTS cannot (yet) be registered due to the fact that it concerns writing a thesis, an internship, or a study project, you will need your Supervisor to fill in and sign Annex 2.

Next, submit the MoMi Study Progress Monitoring Form (including the applicable documents) to a.s.a.p. and no later than 31 August this year.

Deadline to submit the Study Progress Monitoring Form and required annexes is 31 August.

Please note: if you already expect not to fulfil the MoMi Study Progress requirements this academic year and you have an excusable reason, you may already submit the Study Progress Monitoring Form (and required documents) as from May.

Outcome MoMi Requests

If you submit a MoMi request to be exempt from a negative MoMi decision, your request will be handled by the Student Administration department in cooperation with the faculties.

You will be officially informed about the outcome of your MoMi request as soon as possible, but no later than the end of October.

Positive decision

If you have valid excusable reason, you will be allowed to continue your studies and renew your residence permit if applicable.

Negative decision

If you have not fulfilled the MoMi study progress requirements and TU Delft decides that there is insufficient excusable reason or study progress, you will receive a negative decision. TU Delft will inform the IND accordingly. This also means that TU Delft can no longer act as your sponsor for your residence permit and, therefore, that you will no longer be allowed to study at the TU Delft.

The IND will inform you about their decision. Your residence permit may be withdrawn by the IND. You can respond to this. You usually get a period of 3 months to find another education. Or you can apply for another residence permit. Have you not been registered following these 3 months or have you not applied for another residence permit? Your residence permit will then be withdrawn.

Extension of Residence Permit

If you receive a positive decision and your residence permit expires on 1 December this year, you will also receive an invitation to extend your Residence Permit for Study.

We will schedule individual appointments for you to submit the following documents and receive your payment (pin only):  

  • Copy of your passport
  • Declaration for Extension Residence Permit
  • Antecedents Certificate
  • Costs for extension residence permit € 174.  (The amount may be changed by the IND in January and July of every year)

Next, you will be notified by email when your new residence permit is ready to be picked up.

Do you intend to go abroad before you receive your new residence permit, you might need to apply for an extra return visa (€ 153) to enter the Netherlands. If so, please contact the Student Administration directly at with all travel details, your name and student number.

Take your responsibility!

It is your own responsibility to keep track of your study results. Therefore, make sure to:

  • Keep an eye on your results in Osiris during the academic year.
  • Start taking action in time if you suspect not to fulfill the MoMi requirements.

Don’t wait until the last minute to meet deadlines or look for support!


Should you have any additional questions, please contact us at