Dr.ir. M.d.M. (María del Mar) Pérez-Fortes
Mar Pérez-Fortes is a tenure track assistant professor at ESS (E&S group) at TPM, since November 2020. She received her Master of Science in Industrial Engineering (Spain) in 2005. She finished her PhD in Chemical Engineering in 2011 (Spain). After a postdoctoral position in USA, she joined the Joint Research Centre (the Netherlands) in 2013, up to 2016. In 2017-2020, she was a scientist in Switzerland. Her research has focused and focuses on the techno-economic assessment of emerging technologies (mainly bioenergy, CO2 capture and use and electrochemical devices).
Her research has addressed the evaluation of alternative energy systems that are at low technology readiness level. The methodology used is a conceptual design approach, within the fields of process system engineering, renewable energies and circular economy, through optimisation and modelling techniques. With her results she has supported private sector, European policies and projects decisions. In her current position, she focuses on the evaluation of CO2 electrochemical conversion as a potential technology that can support the decarbonisation of the chemical sector and the transition towards a renewable electricity grid.
- Pérez-Fortes M, Mian A, Santhanam S, Wang L, Diethelm S, Varkaraki E, Mirabelli I, Makkus R, Schoon R, Maréchal F and Van herle J (2019), Design of a pilot SOFC system for the combined production of hydrogen and electricity under refueling station requirements. Fuel Cells 19, 4, p. 389-407.
- Pérez-Fortes M, Schöneberger JC, Boulamanti A, Harrison G and Tzimas E (2016), Formic acid synthesis using CO2 as raw material: Techno-economic and environmental analysis and market potential. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41, p. 16444-16462.
- Pérez-Fortes M, Schöneberger JC, Boulamanti A and Tzimas E (2015), Methanol synthesis using captured CO2 as raw material: Techno-economic and environmental assessment. Applied Energy 161, p. 718-732.
- Pérez-Fortes M, Laínez-Aguirre JM, Arranz-Piera P, Velo E and Puigjaner L (2012), Design of regional and sustainable bio-based networks for electricity generation using a multi-objective MILP approach. Energy 44, p.79-85.
- Pérez-Fortes M, Bojarski AD and Puigjaner L (2011), Advanced simulation environment for clean power production in IGCC plants. Computers & Chemical Engineering, special issue on Energy and Sustainability 35, p.1501-1520.
Addressing the multi-scale challenge of electrochemical conversion implementation (NWO ECCM tenure track grant) (2020-2025). Principal investigator. The project will develop a framework to assess CO2 electrochemical systems at different scales of deployment by integrated insights from technology, economics, value chains and policy aspects.
- Guest Associate Editor for Frontiers in Energy Research (since 2018)
- External reviewer of papers in indexed journals (since 2010)
- Master in International Business Administration (2009)
- Laínez-Aguirre JM, Pérez-Fortes M and Puigjaner L (2017), Efficient design of biomass-based supply chains: A key component of a sustainable energy system, in Advances in Energy Systems Engineering, from the Innovation Activities in Low Carbon Energy Technologies series, Chapter 24 (35 pp). Ed. Georgios M. Kopanos, Pei Liu, Michael C. Georgiadis. Editorial Springer International
Publishing Switzerland. ISBN: 978-3-319-42803-1.
- Laínez-Aguirre JM, Pérez-Fortes M and Puigjaner L (2015), Chapter 18 - Strategic planning of biomass supply chain networks for co-combustion plants, in Sustainability of Products, Processes and Supply Chains - Theory and Applications, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering (36) p. 453-474.
Ed. Fengqi You. Editorial Elsevier. ISBN: 978-0-444-63472-6.
- Pérez-Fortes M, Laínez-Aguirre JM, Bojarski AD, Puigjaner L. (2011), Chapters 3-5, 8, 10-13, in Syngas from waste: Emerging Technologies, Ed. Luis Puigjaner. Editorial Springer-Verlag. ISBN: 978-0-85729-539-2.
- Pérez-Fortes M, Bojarski AD, Velo E, Puigjaner L (2010), IGCC power plants: Conceptual design and techno-economic optimisation, in Clean Energy: Resources, Production and Developments, p. 463-540. Ed. Aiden M. Harris. Energy Science, Engineering and Technology. NOVA Science Publishers, Inc. ISBN: 978-1-61671-509-2.
María del Mar Pérez-Fortes
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Engineering Systems and Services
Energy and Industry
Process system engineering
Supply chain management
Carbon capture and utilisation