Biography Bert van Wee
Bert van Wee is professor in Transport Policy at Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, faculty Technology, Policy and Management. In addition he is scientific director of TRAIL research school. His main interests are in long-term developments in transport, in particular in the areas of accessibility, land-use transport interaction, (evaluation of) large infrastructure projects, the environment, safety, policy analyses and ethics.
Until 2003 he co-ordinated the traffic and transport activities at the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) in the Netherlands. Participated in the production of the National Environmental Outlooks. Also was active in developing scenarios, such as those produced by the Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis (published in 1992 and 1997) and the OECD scenario project, Environmentally Sustainable Transport (EST). In 1997 rounded off a research program on the relationship between spatial planning and traffic & transport.
Completed undergraduate studies in Geography at Utrecht University, The Netherlands in 1983. Received his Doctorate (PhD) in Economics and Econometrics from the University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands in 1997. Employed from 1983 to 1990 by AGV, a private consulting company in traffic and transport. Between 1990 and 2003 employed at the RIVM in the Netherlands. Between 1999 and 2003 he had a professorship in Transport, Environment and Land Use at the Faculty of Geographical Sciences at Utrecht University.
He is a member of the editorial boards of JAPA, Transport Reviews, Transport Policy and the European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research, and a member of several international networks (NECTAR, WCTR, BIVEC). Besides he has several academic positions related to, among others, research coordination, education, and advising policy makers and interest groups.
In 2014 he received the Edward L. Ullman Award of the Association of American Geographers, the Transportation Geography Speciality Group, for outstanding commitment and contribution to the field of Transport Geography
- 1983 Master’s (‘Doctorandus’) in Geography (Netherlands), Utrecht University, The Netherlands
- 1997 PhD (‘doctoraat’) in Economics and Econometrics, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- 1983 - 1990 AGV, a private consulting company for traffic and transport
- 1990 - 2003 National Institute for Public Health and the Environ¬ment (RIVM), p Senior Scientist
- 1999 - 2003 Utrecht University, Professor at the Faculty of Geographical Sciences (Transport, Environment and Land Use)
- 2003 - 2013 Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management, Professor of Transport Policy, Head of section Transport and Logistics
- 2013 - Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management, Professor of Transport Policy, Scientific Director of TRAIL Research School, the Netherlands