Dr. J. (Jonathan) Moncada Botero
I hold a PhD on ex-ante assessment of technologies for bio-based chemicals from Utrecht University. I also hold, both MSc and BSc in chemical engineering from the National University of Colombia in Manizales. In TPM I am a postdoctoral researcher working in a project on hydrogen economy.
My research focuses on the ex-ante assessment of technologies including mostly (but not limited to) technical, economic and environmental aspects. My research in TU Delft also focuses on the quality assessment of technologies, to identify at a qualitative level, where main sources for uncertainty in emerging system appear.
- Moncada J.Ex-ante assessment of novel technologies for bio-based chemicals production. Utrecht University, Faculty of Geosciences, Department of Innovation, Environmental and Energy Sciences, Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development, Group Energy & Resources. ISBN: 978-90-8672-083-5. P, 314.
- Moncada J., Vural Gursel I., Worrell E., Ramirez A. 2018. Production of 1,3-Butadiene and ε-Caprolactam from C6 sugars. Techno-economic analysis. In press. Biofuels, bioproducts & biorefining.
- Moncada J., Vural Gursel I., Huijgen WJJ., Dijkstra JW., Ramirez A. 2018. Techno-economic and ex-ante environmental assessment of C6 sugars production from spruce and corn. Comparison of organosolv and wet milling technologies. Journal of Cleaner Production, 170, p610-624
- Moncada J., Posada JA., Ramirez A. 2017. Comparative early stage assessment of multiproduct biorefinery systems: An application to the isobutanol platform. Bioresource technology, 241, p44-53.
- Moncada J., Aristizabal V., Cardona CA. 2016. Design strategies for sustainable biorefineries. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 116, p122-134.
- Moncada J., Cardona CA., Higuita JC., Vélez JJ., López-Suarez FE. 2016 Wood residue (Pinus patula bark) as an alternative feedstock for producing ethanol and furfural in Colombia: experimental, techno-economic and environmental assessments. Chemical Engineering Science, 140, p309-318.
- Moncada J., Posada JA., Ramirez, A. 2015. Early sustainability assessment for potential configurations of integrated biorefineries. Screening of bio-based derivatives from platform chemicals. Biofuels, Bioproducts & Biorefining, 9, p722-748.
- Moncada J., Tamayo JA., Cardona CA. 2014. Integrating first, second, and third generation biorefineries: Incorporating microalgae into the sugarcane biorefinery. Chemical engineering science, 118, p126-140.
- Moncada J., Tamayo JA., Cardona CA. 2014. Evolution from biofuels to integrated biorefineries: techno-economic and environmental assessment of oil palm in Colombia. Journal of cleaner production, 81, p51-59.
Jonathan is currently supervising two master students in projects with a strong component on techno-economic and life cycle assessments for emerging chemical/biochemical technologies.
Jonathan Moncada Botero
- + 31 15 27 82061
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Engineering Systems and Services
Energy and Industry
Ex-ante assessment of technologies