Dr. B. (Ben) Wagner
Ben Wagner is Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management at TU Delft, as well as Professor (Lector) of Media, Technology and Society and Director of the Sustainable Media Lab at Inholland. His research focuses on the governance of socio-legal systems, in particular human rights in digital technologies, and designing more accountable decision-support systems.
He is a visiting researcher at the Human Centred Computing Group at Oxford University, advisory board member of the data science journal Patterns and on the International Scientific Committee of the UKRI Trustworthy Autonomous Systems Hub. Ben spends 3 days a week working at TU Delft and 2 days a week working at Inholland.
Previously, Ben served as founding Director of the Center for Internet & Human Rights at European University Viadrina, Director of the Sustainable Computing Lab at Vienna University of Economics and member of the Advisory Group of the European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA). He holds a PhD in Political and Social Sciences from European University Institute in Florence.
PhD in Political and Social Sciences, European University Institute, Florence.
M.Sc (with distinction) in Public Administration, Universiteit Leiden.
M.A. in Political Science, Law and Statistics, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich.
- Delacroix, Sylvie, and Ben Wagner. 2021. “Constructing a Mutually Supportive Interface between Ethics and Regulation.” Computer Law & Security Review 40:105520.
- Wagner, Ben. 2020. “Digital Election Observation: Regulatory Challenges around Legal Online Content.” The Political Quarterly.
- Wagner, Ben, Krisztina Rozgonyi, Marie-Therese Sekwenz, Jatinder Singh, and Jennifer Cobbe. 2020. ‘Regulating Transparency? Facebook, Twitter and the German Network Enforcement Act’. Barcelona, Spain: ACM Conference on Fairness Accountability and Transparency (FAT* 2020).
- Wagner, Ben. 2019. “Liable, but Not in Control? Ensuring Meaningful Human Agency in Automated Decision-Making Systems.” Policy & Internet 11(1).
- Wagner, Ben. 2018. “Understanding Internet Shutdowns: A Case Study from Pakistan.” International Journal of Communication 12(1):22.
- Wagner, Ben. 2016. “Efficiency versus recht?” Helling 2016(4).
- Wagner, Ben. 2014. “The Politics of Internet Filtering: The United Kingdom and Germany in a Comparative Perspective.” Politics 34(1):58–71.
- Wagner, Ben. 2013. “Governing Internet Expression: How Public and Private Regulation Shape Expression Governance.” Journal of Information Technology & Politics 10(3).
- Wagner, Ben et al. (ed.) 2019. Research Handbook on Human Rights & Digital Technology: Global Politics, Law & International Relations, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Wagner, Ben. 2016. Global Free Expression? Governing the Boundaries of Internet Content Heidelberg: Springer International Publishing.