Dr. D.M. (Didier) van de Velde
My research focusses on the governance and institutional reforms in urban and regional passenger transport and the railways. I have published numerous papers in which I analyse and compare international experiences with competition and contracting in public transport. My dissertation discussed institutional frameworks in the public pransport sector, focussing on the role of competition. My other research interests include: the factors that shape the evolution of institutions in the public transport sector; value-chain coordination in the railway sector (and in other transport sectors); the Japanese railway sector and lessons for Europe. I also work as a consultant and director of the inno-V consultancy in Amsterdam, where I advise authorities at the local, national and international level on topics related to public transport governance.
- van de Velde, D.M. (2019) "Competition in Public Transport - an Exploratory Research in Institutional Frameworks in the Public Transport Sector." PhD Thesis, Delft University of Technology.
- Van de Velde, D.M. (2015) "European Railway Reforms: Unbundling and the Need for Coordination." In Rail Economics, Policy and Regulation in Europe, edited by M. Finger, T. Holvad, and P. Messulam, 52-88, Edward Elgar.
- Van de Velde, D. (2014), "Market initiative regimes in public transport in Europe: Recent developments", Research in Transportation Economics, 48, 33-40.
- Van de Velde, D., C. Nash, A. Smith, F. Mizutani, S. Uranishi, M. Lijesen and F. Zschoche (2012), "EVES-Rail - Economic effects of Vertical Separation in the railway sector", Report for CER - Community of European Railway and Infrastructure Companies, by inno-V (Amsterdam) in cooperation with University of Leeds – ITS, Kobe University, VU Amsterdam University and civity management consultants, Amsterdam/Brussels, 188 pp.
- Van de Velde, D.M., W.W. Veeneman and L.R. Lutje Schipholt (2008), "Competitive tendering in The Netherlands: Central planning vs. functional specifications", Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 42, 1152–1162.
- Van de Velde, D.M. (2008), "A new regulation for the European public transport", Research in Transportation Economics, 22, 78-84.
- Van de Velde, D.M. (1999), "Organisational forms and entrepreneurship in public transport (Part 1: classifying organisational forms)", Transport Policy, 6, 147-157.
Didier van de Velde
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: B2.100
Organisation & Governance
- Public transport governance and institutional reforms
- Urban and regional passenger transport, railway sector
- Value-chain coordination
- Contracting and competition