Dr. N.Y. (Nazli Yonca) Aydin
I am currently an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management, Systems Engineering section. Previously, I was a postdoctoral and senior researcher at the Future Resilient Systems, Singapore-ETH Centre. I hold a Ph.D. from the Civil Engineering Department, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany. During this time, I was a visiting researcher at Arizona State University investigating the sustainability of urban water distribution systems. I hold a M.Sc. from the Middle East Technical University in the Geodetic and Geographic Information Technologies Department.
I am a member of the 4TU- DeSIRE program on Resilience Engineering and my research focus is to understand and measure the unique characteristics of resilient cities and critical infrastructures. I currently investigate land use and transportation network interaction to improve community resilience. I am also interested in measuring operational and structural resilience of urban water supply systems and effective strategies to recover from disruptions. I have worked on designing decision support systems, collaborated with governmental agencies and senior data specialists to develop systematic solutions to improve the resilience of transportation networks. Also, I have developed methodologies to model the transportation networks under natural disasters using limited data, complex networks applications, and spatial data analysis techniques to evaluate the resilience and recovery of rural and urban road networks.
- Aydin, N. Y., Casali, Y. Duzgun, H. S., Heinimann, H. R., (2019). “Identifying changes in critical locations for transportation networks using centrality.”, Computational Urban Planning and Management for Smart Cities, 405 – 423.
- Aydin, N. Y., Duzgun, H. S., Heinimann, H. R., Wenzel, F., Gnyawali, K. R. (2018). “Framework for Improving the Resilience and Recovery of Transportation Networks under Geohazard Risks.”, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 31, 832-843.
- Aydin, N. Y., Duzgun, H. S., Wenzel, F., Heinimann, H. R. (2018). “Integration of Stress-Testing with Graph Theory to Assess the Resilience of Urban Road Networks under Seismic Hazards.” Natural Hazards, 91(1), 37-68.
- Freund, A., Aydin, N. Y., Zeckzer, D., and Hagen, H. (2017). "A Decision-Support System for Sustainable Water Distribution System Planning." IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 37(1), 44-55.
- Aydin, N. Y., Zeckzer, D., Hagen, H., and Schmitt, T. (2015). "A decision support system for the technical sustainability assessment of water distribution systems." Environmental Modelling & Software, 67, 31-42.
- Aydin, N. Y., Mays, L., and Schmitt, T. (2014). "Sustainability Assessment of Urban Water Distribution Systems." Water Resources Management, 28(12), 4373-4384.
- Aydin, N. Y., Kentel, E., and Sebnem Duzgun, H. (2013). "GIS-based site selection methodology for hybrid renewable energy systems: A case study from western Turkey." Energy Conversion and Management, 70, 90-106.
- Aydin, N. Y., Kentel, E., and Duzgun, S. (2010). "GIS-based environmental assessment of wind energy systems for spatial planning: A case study from Western Turkey." Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14(1), 364-373.
I am a member of 4TU Centre for Resilience Engineering, DeSIRE program.
Nazli Yonca Aydin
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: B1.210
Geospatial planning and modelling
Decision support systems
Sustainable urban water supply