Dr. C.N. (Natalie) van der Wal
Dr. Natalie van der Wal is an Associate Professor at the Department of Multi-Actor Systems, section Systems Engineering and Simulation. She holds a PhD in both Psychology and Artificial Intelligence from the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (2012). Before this position, dr. Van der Wal was a Senior Research Fellow at Leeds University Business School (2015 & 2018-2020) and Assistant Professor at the Department of Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (2012-2018).
Dr. van der Wal is an expert in agent-based modelling and simulation of group decision making and cognitive and social psychology of group dynamics. Dr. van der Wal received a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship (2018-2020), was a Work Package Leader for EU H2020 project IMPACT (2015-2017), has won a best paper award (ICCCI conference 2017) and co-authored over 40 articles in the areas of agent-based modelling, evacuation research, positive psychology, behavioural informatics, socio-technical systems and group decision making.
- van der Wal, C.N., Robinson, M. A., Bruine de Bruin, W., Gwynne, S. (2021). Evacuation Behaviors and Emergency Communications: An Analaysis of Real-World Incident Videos. Safety Science, 136, 105121.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2020.105121.
- van der Wal, C.N., Formolo, D., Robinson, M. A., Gwynne, S. (2021). Examining Evacuee Response to Emergency Communications with Agent-based Simulations. Sustainability, 13(9), 4623, https://doi.org/10.3390/su13094623.
- van der Wal, C.N., Formolo, D., Robinson, M.A., Minkov, M., Bosse, T. (2017). Simulating Crowd Evacuation with Socio-Cultural, Cognitive, and Emotional Elements. Transactions on Computational Collective Intelligence XXVII, pp. 139-177. Springer, Cham. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-70647-4_11
- Bosse, T., Hoogendoorn, M., Klein, M.C.A., Treur, J.,van der Wal, C.N., and van Wissen, A. (2013). Modelling Collective Decision Making in Groups and Crowds: Integrating Social Contagion and Interacting Emotions, Beliefs and Intentions. Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems Journal, Vol. 27, 52-84. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10458-012-9201-1
- Bosse, T., Duell, R., Memon, Z.A., Treur, J., and van der Wal, C.N. (2015). Agent-Based Modelling of Emotion Contagion in Groups. Cognitive Computation Journal, vol. 7, pp. 111-136. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12559-014-9277-9
- van der Wal, C.N., Kok, R.N. (2019). Laughter-Inducing Therapies: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Social Science and Medicine, 232, 473-488, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2019.02.018
Module Manager of:
- TB233B – Systeemmodellering 4 – project simulatiemethoden (Q3)
- SEN1211 –Agent-based Modelling (Q2)
- Project Repository Journal. (2020, October), “Project EVACUATION: Testing communication strategies to save lives in emergency evacuation”.
- ABC Radio National, Australia, (2020, July), “Is laughter really the best medicine?” – on my meta-analysis of the effectiveness of laughter therapies
- Leeds University Business School (2020, May), “Podcast: Form laughter therapy to testing communication strategies for emergency evacuations”
- ITV News, United Kingdom. (2020, January). “Is blue Monday real’?” - on predicting emotions and preventing depression.
- Research Blog Event Safety Institute, The Netherlands. (2019, December). “Possible solutions to prevent dangerous behaviours during evacuations’.
Natalie van der Wal
- + 31 15 27 89941
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: B1.030
Group decision making