Drs.Ing. K.J.M.G. (Kenny) Meesters
Kenny has a background in Business Engineering, and a master’s degree in both Information Management and Strategic Management from Tilburg University. He previously worked as a software developer and IT project manager for commercial firms. After several years he returned to Tilburg University as a researcher, working closely with international humanitarian organizations and local emergency services. He is also currently employed at Agder University in Norway working as a researcher in the Center for Integrated Emergency Management.
In his research Kenny focusses on the role of information and ICT in crisis situations and disaster responses, such as the use of community generated information in their decision making processes. Specifically, Kenny looks into how information can be used to bridge gaps between affected communities, responding organizations and spontaneous volunteers. Among others, Kenny uses serious gaming as a research approach to examine these interactions in more detail, and has (co-)developed several serious games to this end.
- Meesters, Kenny, and Bartel van de Walle. "Disaster in my backyard: a serious game introduction to disaster information management." Proceedings of the 10th International ISCRAM Conference–Baden-Baden, Germany. T. Comes, F. Fiedrich, S. Fortier, J. Geldermann and T. Müller, eds. 2013.
- Meesters, Kenny, and Bartel Van de Walle. "Increasing efficiency of humanitarian organizations with volunteer driven information products." 2014 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. IEEE, 2014.
- Meesters, Kenny, Lars van Beek, and Bartel Van de Walle. "# Help. The Reality of Social Media Use in Crisis Response: Lessons from a Realistic Crisis Exercise." 2016 49th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS). IEEE, 2016.
- Meesters, Kenny, and Bartel Van de Walle. "Serious Gaming for User Centered Innovation and Adoption of Disaster Response Information Systems." International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (IJISCRAM) 6.2 (2014): 1-15.
- van den Homberg, Marc, Kenny Meesters, and Bartel Van de Walle. "Coordination and Information Management in the Haiyan Response: observations from the field." Procedia Engineering 78 (2014): 49-51.
- Meesters, Kenny, Luuk Olthof, and Bartel Van de Walle. "Disaster in my Backyard: A Serious Game to Improve Community Disaster Resilience."European Conference on Games Based Learning. Vol. 2. Academic Conferences International Limited, 2014.
COmmunity BAsed COmphrensive REcovery
an EU FP7 project focused on bringing together the affected communities, professional organizations and responding (volunteer) community in post-disaster situations. COBACORE seeks to close the collaboration gaps between stakeholders involved in post-crisis recovery. COBACORE also aims to improve the matching of needs with capacities, through building upon the community as an important source of information and capabilities.
Comrades is creating an open‐source, community resilience platform, designed by communities, for communities, to help them reconnect, respond to, and recover from crisis situations. In other words, COMRADES is researching how technologies can help communities to be more resistant to crisis situations and by providing a way to optimally share information enable them to proceed with needed help action in due time.
Furthermore, Kenny has been involved in several in-field research projects with local emergency responders such as fire departments and polices services, as well as international humanitarian organizations including UN OCHA and IFRC.
Kenny has been active in the international ISCRAM (Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management), among others in organization of the annual summer school. And is involved in the Disaster Resilience Lab (DRL).
Standby Task Force
The SBTF is a group of volunteers (digital humanitarians) offering remote information management assistance to humanitarian organizations during disaster responses.
Global FIRST LEGO League Volunteer
In his spare time Kenny is an global volunteer for the FIRST LEGO League, an international STEM competition; introducing young minds to science and technology in a challenging, fun, and engaging way.
Member of Hands-on-Technology
HoTs mission is to get young people enthusiastic about science and technology. Through challenges, creativity, team spirit and fun, kids gain a positive attitude towards sciences and technology.
Disaster in my Backyard serious game
Community Driven Response: Challenge or Opportunity?
The use of social media in disaster situations
Crisis and Disaster Management
Drs.ing. K.J.M.G. (Kenny) Meesters
Crisis And Disaster Management, Information Management & Strategy, Information Systems, Business Studies
COMRADES (2016-2018) www.comrades-project.eu COMRADES is creating an open‐source, community resilience platform, designed by communities, for communities, to help them reconnect, respond to, and recover from crisis situations. The aim of COMRADES is to build a next generation platform to quickly filter the citizen reports as they arrive from social media and mobile texts, remove uninformative and irrelevant ones. Pick up, and alert to several lone messages requesting urgent help during a crisis and extract, group, and monitor unfolding emergency micro-events.
COBACORE (2013-2016): www.cobacore.eu COBACORE is a collaborative research project funded by the European Commission involving Dutch, UK, German, Irish, Spanish and Slovakian partners. COBACORE seeks to close the collaboration gaps between stakeholders involved in post-crisis recovery. COBACORE also aims to improve the matching of needs with capacities, through building upon the community as an important source of information and capabilities.
- Hurricane Harvey Report
peer reviewed : N
- Toni Sebastian
- Kasper Lendering
- Baukje Kothuis
- Nikki Brand
- Bas Jonkman
- Pieter van Gelder
- Maartje Godfroij
- Bas Kolen
- Tina Comes
- Stef Lhermitte
- Kenny Meesters
- Bartel van de Walle
- Amir Ebrahimi Fard
- Scott Cunningham
- N. Khakzad
- Vittorio Nespeca
- ancillary activities
- -Wet medew. Niet-TUD - University of Agder
2016-05-15 - 2018-05-15
Advisering/onderzoek en overig