Dr. L. (Laurens) Rook
Laurens Rook is Assistant Professor at the Technology, Policy, and Management Faculty of Delft University of Technology, Netherlands. He received his Ph.D. from the Rotterdam School of Management, and his bachelor and master’s degrees in Communication Studies from the University of Amsterdam, Netherlands. Laurens publishes in journals such as OMEGA, Journal of Cleaner Production (JCP), Journal of Environmental Psychology (JEP), International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (IJHCS), Creativity Research Journal (CRJ), Journal of Intelligent Information Systems (JIIS), and in conference proceedings of various IEEE and Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) programs. He is a regular Scientific Program Committee Member at the Annual e-Tourism Conference ENTER, the ACM UMAP, the ACM SIGAPP, and IEEE conferences.
Laurens’s research focuses on online personalization, creativity and choice behavior in the setting of human-computer interaction. He investigates how ‘smart’ (machine learning-based) information systems can offer online personalized decision support to the user. Laurens is particularly interested in the ways in which technology enables people to make choices in life that are imaginative, prosocial, environmentally sustainable, or beneficial to a person’s physical and mental health. Such forms of choice behavior are studied in laboratory experiments, offline user studies, from online search & browse logs, and via linguistic investigation of online narrative contributions. This research is conducted in close collaboration with econometricians and computer scientists specialized in recommender systems in Italy, Austria, and the Netherlands.
- Leadership and Technology Management (2008 - present)
- (Quantitative) Research Methods (2009 - present)
- Preparation for the Master Thesis (2012 - present)
- High-Tech Marketing (2016 - present)
- Paundra, J., Van Dalen, J., & Rook, L., & Ketter, W. (2020). Ridesharing Platform Entry Effects on Ownership-Based Consumption in Indonesia. Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Pennings, C. L. P., Van Dalen, J., & Rook, L. (2019). Coordinating Judgmental Forecasting: Coping with Intentional Biases. OMEGA, 87, 46-56.
- Zanker, M., Rook, L., & Jannach, D. (2019). Measuring the Impact of Online Personalization: Past, Present, and Future. International Journal of Human Computer Studies, 131, 160-168.
- Çoba, L., Zanker, M., Rook, L., & Symeonidis, P. Decision Making Strategies Differ in the Presence of Collaborative Explanations: Two Conjoint Studies. Proceedings of the ACM IUI 2019, the 24th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, Los Angeles, March 17 – 20 (pp. 291-302), New York, NY, USA: ACM.
- Paundra, J., Rook, L., Van Dalen, J., & Ketter, W. (2017). Preferences for Car Sharing Services: Effects of Instrumental Attributes and Psychological Ownership. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 53, 121-130.
Using Persuasive technology and Big Data analytics to Reduce Consumer Energy Consumption
This research project by Laurens Rook, Markus Zanker, Rebekka Aigner and Wolfgang Ketter shows how a persuasive technology intervention on a smart meter support website enabled households in an Austrian city to reduce their energy consumption for a longer time period. The research project with its persuasive technology intervention was featured in the 2016 Delft Research Exhibition in the Library of the Delft University of Technology. It will be presented again at the upcoming 2017 Delft Research Exhibition.
Dr. L. Rook
- ancillary activities
2021-01-01 - 2023-01-01