Dr. J.R. (Roland) Ortt
Roland J. Ortt (1964) is Associate Professor of Innovation management and Entrepreneurship at Delft University of Technology. Before joining the faculty of Technology Policy and Management (TPM) Roland Ortt worked as project manager and R&D manager for KPN research, the R&D lab of a Dutch telecommunication company. Roland is director of Interfaculty Education in TPM and research dean of the European NiTiM network of researchers in innovation and technology management.
Roland’s research interests are the development, commercialization and diffusion of radically new high-tech products and systems. His research focuses on three questions: (1) How long does is take from invention to large-scale diffusion for these products? (2) What are the actors and factors that explain (or predict) the time-period between invention and large-scale diffusion? (3) What are the strategies that companies can adopt to commercialize their high-tech products? Roland has won four best paper awards.
Roland has teaches courses in the field of Innovation management and Entrepreneurship, such as innovation management (MOT2421), the basic entrepreneurship course (MOT9610), the specialization on technology battles (MOT9591), and the patent law and patent policy course (WM0787) developed jointly with the valorization centre and two external experts. Roland is active as guest lecturer, for example in the msc SET, the industrial Ecology master, and in the Centre for Innovation, the Hague.
- Ortt, J.R. and Egyedi, T.M. (2014). The Effect of Pre-Existing Standards and Regulations on the Development and Diffusion of Radically New Innovations. International Journal of IT Standards and Standardization Research, 12(1), 17-37.
- Rezaei, J., Ortt, J.R., Scholten, V. (2012). Measuring entrepreneurship: Expert-based vs. data-based methodologies, Expert Systems with Applications, 39(4), 4063-4074.
- Steen, van de, M., Ortt, J.R. and Scholten, V.E. (2010). Exploring determinants of life sciences spin-off creation: empirical evidence from the Netherlands. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business (online), 10(1), 30-48.
- Ortt, J.R. and Duin, P.A. van der (2008). The evolution of innovation management towards contextual innovation. European Journal of Innovation Management, 11(4), 522-538.
- Ortt, J.R., Langley, D.J. & Pals, N (2007). Exploring the market for breakthrough technologies. Technological forecasting and social change, 74, 1789-1804.
- Ortt, J.R. & Smits, R. (2006). Innovation management: different approaches to cope with the same trends. International journal of technology management, 34(3/4), 296-318.
- Ortt, J.R. & Schoormans, J.P.L.(2004). The pattern of development and diffusion of breakthrough communication technologies. European Journal of Innovation Management, 7(4), 292-302.
Research Dean of a European Network of Researchers on Technology & Innovation Management.
Board member of the ICE/IEEE MOT network
- Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management (2016 and 2017)
- Technological Forecasting and Social Change (2007)
- International Journal of Technology Management (2006)
Organizer of conferences:
- 2011 Euromot, Tampere, Finland
- 2011 NiTiM Phd track Tampere, Finland
- 2013 Worldwide IEEE & ICE Conference the Hague, the Netherlands
- 2013 NiTiM PhD track the Hague, the Netherlands
- Trott, P., Hartmann, D., Scholten, V., van der Duin, P., & Ortt, J. R. (2015). Managing technology entrepreneurship and innovation. Routledge.
- Beers, C.P. van, Kleinknecht, A.H., Ortt, J.R. & Verburg, R.M. (Eds.). (2008). Determinants of Innovative Behaviour: A firm's Internal Practices and its External Environment (First). Hampshire: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Berkhout, A.J., Duin, P.A. van der, Hartmann, L. & Ortt, J.R. (2007). The Cyclic Nature of Innovation: Connecting Hard Sciences with Soft Values. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Verburg, R.M., Ortt, J.R. and W.M. Dicke (editors)(2005). ‘Managing Technology and Innovation, An introduction’. Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, London and New York
- +31 15 27 84815
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: C3.010
Person not found
The information is currently unavailable.