Dr. B. (Bas) Kolen
Bas Kolen is a research coordinator at DSYS at TUDelft. His work focuses on natural hazards and in specific water related disasters, adaptation, disaster management, evacuation and self-reliance. He holds a PHD in management sciences from the Radboud University Nijmegen and also serves HKV lijn in water as Director of Research and Development.
He worked in several projects for the Dutch Government, Water Boards, Mergency Services and international clients in de United Kingdom, Romania, Czech Republic, Japan, France en the United States of America.
- Kolen, B. and Helsloot, I. (2014). Decision-making and evacuation planning for flood risk management in the Netherlands. Disasters, 38: 610–635
- Kolen B (2013) Certainty of uncertainty in evacuation for threat driven responses; Principles of adaptive evacuation management for flood risk planning in the Netherlands. PhD Thesis University of Nijmegen.
- Kolen B, Kok M, Helsloot I, Maaskant B (2012) EvacuAid: a probabilistic evacuation model to determine the expected loss of life for different mass evacuation strategies. Risk Analysis doi: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2012.01932.x.
- Kolen B, Helsloot I. (2012). Time needed to evacuate the Netherlands in the event of large-scale flooding: Strategies and consequences. Disasters, 36(4):700–722.
- Kolen and M. Kok. 2011. Optimal investment in emergency management in a multilayer flood risk framework. Paper at 5th International Conference on Flood Management (ICFM5), at Tokyo, Japan
Domain coordinator natural hazards
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: C.1090
Values, Technology and Innovation
Safety and Security Science
Astrid Pinzger-van Staalduinen
Management of responsible innovation
Responsible risk management
Flood risk management