Prof.dr.ir. I.R. (Ibo) van de Poel
Ibo van de Poel is Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Professor in Ethics and Technology at the School of Technology, Policy and Management at Delft University of Technology. He did a master in Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society (with a propaedeutic exam in Mechanical Engineering) and obtained a PhD in Science and Technology Studies from the University of Twente before he came to Delft in 1998. He is a member of Dutch Royal Academy of the Sciences (KNAW).
Van de Poel’s research focuses on several themes in the ethics and philosophy of technology: value change, responsible innovation, design for values, the moral acceptability of technological risks, engineering ethics, moral responsibility in research networks, ethics of newly emerging technologies, and the idea of new technology as social experiments. In 2010, he received a prestigious VICI grant from the Netherlands Organization on Scientific Research (NWO) for his research on new technologies as social experiments, and in 2018 he received an ERC Advanced Grant on Design for changing values: a theory of value change in sociotechnical systems. He is also one of the six PIs of the 10-year Gravitation project Ethics of Socially Disruptive Technologies.
Since 1998, Van de Poel has been lecturing in ethics and technology for several engineering course programs at Delft University of Technology. He has been involved in several educational innovations in this area, including the development of the web-based computer program AGORA and the first Dutch textbook on ethics and technology. He also co-authored an English textbook on the subject and is involved in the development of a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) on responsible innovation and several ProfEds (professional online courses) in engineering ethics. He is also regularly advising universities abroad on implementing engineering ethics courses.
- de Wildt, T. E., I. R. van de Poel, and E. J. L. Chappin. 2021. "Tracing Long-term Value Change in (Energy) Technologies: Opportunities of Probabilistic Topic Models Using Large Data Sets." Science, Technology, & Human Values doi: 10.1177/01622439211054439.
- Van de Poel, Ibo. 2021. "Design for value change." Ethics and Information Technology. doi.org/10.1007/s10676-018-9461-9
- van de Poel, Ibo. 2020. "Embedding Values in Artificial Intelligence (AI) Systems." Minds and Machines 30 (3):385-409. doi: 10.1007/s11023-020-09537-4.
- Van de Poel, Ibo, and Martin Sand. 2018. "Varieties of responsibility: two problems of responsible innovation." Synthese. doi.org/10.1007/s11229-018-01951-7
- Van de Poel, Ibo. 2016. "An Ethical Framework for Evaluating Experimental Technology." Science and Engineering Ethics 22 (3):667-686. doi.org/10.1007/s11948-015-9724-3
- Van de Poel, Ibo. 2015. "Morally experimenting with nuclear energy." In The Ethics of Nuclear Energy: Risk, Justice and Democracy in the post-Fukushima Era, edited by Behnam Taebi and Sabine Roeser, 179-199. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Van de Poel, Ibo. 2013. "Translating values into design requirements." In Philosophy and Engineering: Reflections on Practice, Principles and Process, edited by D. Mitchfelder, N. McCarty and D.E. Goldberg, 253-266. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Van de Poel, Ibo, Jessica Nihlén Fahlquist, Neelke Doorn, Sjoerd Zwart, and Lambèr Royakkers. 2012. "The Problem of Many Hands: Climate Change as an Example." Science and Engineering Ethics 18 (1):49-68. 10.1007/s11948-011-9276-0
- Value Change: ERC Advanced Grant on Design for changing values: a theory of value change in sociotechnical systems.
- Ethics of Socially Disruptive Technologies (link to: https://www.esdit.nl/): NWO Gravitation Program
- Hybrid Intelligence (link to: https://www.hybrid-intelligence-centre.nl/ ): NWO Gravitation Program
- Sustainable design of multi-scale CO2 electrochemical conversion, NWO-MVI Project
- Yaghmaei, Emad, and Ibo van de Poel, eds. (2021). Assessment of Responsible Innovation. London: Routledge.
- Ortt, Roland J., David van Putten, Linda M. Kamp, and Ibo Van de Poel, eds. (2020). Responsible innovation in large technological systems. New York: Routledge.
- Van de Poel, Ibo, Donna C. Mehos, and Lotte Asveld, eds. (2018). New Perspectives on Technology in Society: Experimentation Beyond the Laboratory. Oxon and New York: Routledge.
- Van de Poel, Ibo, Lamber Royakkers, and Sjoerd D. Zwart. 2015. Moral Responsibility and the Problem of Many Hands: Routledge.
- van den Hoven, Jeroen, Pieter E. Vermaas, and Ibo Van de Poel, eds. 2015. Handbook of ethics and values in technological design. Sources, Theory, Values and Application Domains: Springer.
- Van de Poel, Ibo, and Lambèr Royakkers. 2011. Ethics, technology and engineering. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
Ibo van de Poel
- +31 15 27 84716
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: B4.210
Values, Technology and Innovation
Ethics/Philosophy of Technology
Nathalie van den Heuvel
Design for values
Responsible risk management
Ir. I.R. van de Poel
- ancillary activities
2021-01-01 - 2023-01-01
2020-11-16 - 2023-12-31
Consultancy / research and other