Dr. G. (Geerten) van de Kaa
Geerten van de Kaa is Associate Professor of Standardization and Business Strategy at Delft University of Technology, and Editor-in-chief of the Journal of Standardisation. In the past years, he has worked on various EU and NWO funded research projects. His research has appeared in high-ranking international journals, including Organization Studies, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Technovation, and Technological Forecasting and Social Change. At TU Delft he teaches courses on strategic management, technology and strategy, and on ‘standards battles’. He holds a PhD from Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University.
My research focuses on a better understanding of the process of developing standards, with the goal of enabling complex innovations and solving societal and business challenges. Standards are, one could say, the invisible glue that make worldwide economic cooperation in value chains possible. They make products and parts compatible, clarify mutual expectations that partners may have of each other, guarantee a minimum level of quality and safety, and in the best cases even ensure that products meet ethical and societal values.
In some cases, standards come about in a collaborative process between all stakeholders, in which national and international standards institutes may play a key role. However, more often than not standards emerge as a result of a complex interplay between market mechanisms, policies, and strategies of individual firms. And sometimes they are the outcome of a fierce battle between companies trying to gain dominance in the market by dictating the standard.
Which factors determine if and how standards come about? What can companies and governments do to positively influence this process? Those are two central questions in my research
- TBM004A: Strategic Management (Business Game)
- MOT1435: Technology, Strategy and Entrepreneurship
- MOT9591: Standards Battles
- MOT1004: MOT integration moment
- MOT2910: MOT M.Sc. Thesis supervision
- Strategic Leadership for Responsible Innovation
- Emerging Technology-based Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Van de Kaa, G., Stoccuto, S., Valladolid Calderón, C., 2021. “A battle over smart standards: Compatibility, governance, and innovation in home energy management systems and smart meters in the Netherlands” Energy Research and Social Science.
- Van de Kaa, G. and L. M. Kamp, 2021. "Exploring design dominance in early stages of the dominance process: The case of airborne wind energy." Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Mosterd, L., Sobota, V.M., Van de Kaa, G., Ding, A., De Reuver. M. 2021. Context dependent trade-offs around platform-to-platform openness: The case of the Internet of Things, Technovation
- Wiarda, M., Van de Kaa, G., Yaghmaei, E., Doorn, N. 2021. "A comprehensive appraisal of responsible research and innovation: From roots to leaves." Technological Forecasting and Social Change 172
- Van de Kaa, G. 2021, Strategies for the emergence of a dominant design for heat storage systems, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 1-13
- Fulari, S.C., Van de Kaa, G., 2021. Overcoming Bottlenecks for Realizing a Vehicle-to-Grid Infrastructure in Europe through Standardization, Electronics, 10, 5, 1-15
- Bergsma, J.M., Pruyn, J., van de Kaa, G. 2021. A Literature Evaluation of Systemic Challenges Affecting the European Maritime Energy Transition, Sustainability 13, 715.
- 2020-2024: European Union - Horizon2020 “Co-Create Change in Research Funding and Performing (Co-Change)”
- 2019-2021: European Union – Grow: Functions and Effects of European Standards and Standardisation in the EU and EFTA Member States
- 2018-2021: European Union - Horizon2020 “webs of Innovation and value chains of Additive Manufacturing under consideration of Responsible Research and Innovation (I AM RRI)
- 2015-2019: NWO: Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research “Capturing the societal value of smart energy systems”
- 2021-present Editor-in-Chief (Journal of Standardisation), TUD Open
- 2009-present: Ad Hoc Reviewer for Research Policy, Elsevier; IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, IEEE; Technovation, Elsevier; R&D Management, Wiley; Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier; Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, Taylor & Francis; Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, Elsevier; Innovation: Organization & Management, Taylor & Francis; Computer Standards & Interfaces, Elsevier; AOM conference, AOM; EURAM conference, EURAM; EURAS conference, EURAS; SIIT conference, SIIT; IAMOT conference, IAMOT
- 2021-present: Policy committee member, NEN
- 2021-present: Delegate (education standardization expert), United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (START-Ed)
- 2021-2022: Special issue editor (Electronic Markets), Springer
- 2021-2022: Special issue editor (Energies), MDPI
- 2019-present: Program committee member (TUD representative), NEN SOONS (Stichting onderzoek en onderwijs normalisatie en standaardisatie)
- 2019-present: Board member, IAMOT
- 2011-2021: Editorial review board member International Journal of IT Standards and Standardization Research, IGI
- 2011-present: (Technical Programme Committee) member, EURAS / ITU Kaleidoscope / SIIT.
- 2017-present: Guest scholar, Technical University Berlin, School of Economics and Management.
- 2017-present: Scientific expert standardization education, European Commission; GROW B.3
- 2020: Scientific expert, NEN
- 2020: Member assistant professor evaluation committee, Aarhus University, faculty of Business and Social Sciences, Department of Business Development and Technology
- 2019-2021: Editor-in-Chief International Journal of Standardization Research, IGI
- 2020-2021: Subcontractor, EY (EU DG Grow)
- 2018-2021: Workpackage leader (scientific coordinator) and task leader, H2020-SWAFS-IAMRRI
- 2019-present: Reviewer, EU H2020 (COFUND Fellowship Programme)
- 2019: Invited speaker, NEN
- 2019: Scientific expert for the Dutch climate agreement (klimaat akkoord), NERA/NWO
- 2018-present: Editorial Advisory Board member, IGI
- 2018-2019: Associate editor, International Journal of Standardization Research, IGI
- 2018 – present: Associate member, International Federation of Standards Users (IFAN).
- 2017: Teacher/trainer/coach, NEN
- 2017 – present: Representative on Standardisation, European Commission, directorate-general for internal market, industry, entrepreneurship and SMEs.
- 2016: Scientific contributor, IEEE Standards University
- 2016-2021: Teacher/trainer/coach, Erasmus University Rotterdam
- 2014-2016: Standardisation and Innovation Track chair, EURAM.
- 2013-2016: Member, Dutch Academy for Quality.
- 2015: Innovation marketing officer, EURAM
- 2015-2016: Editorial Review Board member, EURAS
- 2015: Editorial Review Board member, IGI publishers
- 2014-2016: Advisor/consultant, Japan External Trade Organization.
- 2012: Teacher/trainer/coach, Schouten University
- 2011: Visiting scholar, Technical University Berlin, School of Economics and Management.
- 2004-2008: Scientific member, Freeband/B@Home
Geerten van de Kaa
- +31 15 278 36 78
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: C3.160
Values, Technology and Innovation
Economics of Technology and Innovation
Design for values
Management of responsible innovation
Responsible risk management
Sustainable energy systems
Connection to database has been unsuccessful
The requested information is currently not available. We're working on fixing this as soon as possible. Our apologies for the inconvience.