Dr.ir. R.I.J. (Roel) Dobbe
Dr.ir. Roel Dobbe is an Assistant Professor working at the intersection of engineering, design and governance of data-driven and algorithmic control and decision-making systems. Roel holds a PhD in Control, Intelligent Systems and Energy from the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California Berkeley. He was an inaugural postdoc for the AI Now Institute at New York University. Roel has gained extensive experience working with industrial, public and societal partners, through working as a consultant, a data scientist and doing engaged scholarship.
Roel’s research addresses the integration of data-driven technologies in societal infrastructure and institutions, with a focus on safety, sustainability and justice. His research strands include:
- Data-driven methods for design and control of complex systems and services
- Integrating design and governance for the responsible integration of data-driven and algorithmic systems
- The political economy of advanced learning and control systems and their information technology infrastructures
- The environmental implications of “artificial intelligence”
- Safety of AI systems in sociotechnical design and policy contexts
Roel’s research is motivated by problems in energy (intelligent planning and operation of electric power distribution) and public administration.
2020-2021 Q2: TB242IA Intelligente data-analyse
- Dobbe, Roel & Gilbert, Thomas & Mintz, Yonatan. (2019). Hard Choices in Artificial Intelligence: Addressing Normative Uncertainty through Sociotechnical Commitments, https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.09005
- Crawford, Kate, Roel Dobbe, Theodora Dryer, Genevieve Fried, Ben Green, Elizabeth Kaziunas,Amba Kak, Varoon Mathur, Erin McElroy, Andrea Nill Sánchez, Deborah Raji, Joy Lisi Rankin, RashidaRichardson, Jason Schultz, Sarah Myers West, and Meredith Whittaker. AI Now 2019 Report. NewYork: AI Now Institute, 2019, https://ainowinstitute.org/AI_Now_2019_Report.html.
- Meredith Whittaker, Kate Crawford, Roel Dobbe, Genevieve Fried, Elizabeth Kaziunas, Varoon Mathur, Sarah Mysers West, Rashida Richardson, Jason Schultz, and Oscar Schwartz. AI Now 2018 Report. New York: AI Now Institute, 2018, https://ainowinstitute.org/AI_Now_2018_Report.pdf
- R. Dobbe, O. Sondermeijer, D. Fridovich-Keil, D. Arnold, D. Callaway and C. Tomlin, "Toward Distributed Energy Services: Decentralizing Optimal Power Flow With Machine Learning," in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 1296-1306, March 2020, doi: 10.1109/TSG.2019.2935711.
- R. Dobbe, W. van Westering, S. Liu, D. Arnold, D. Callaway and C. Tomlin, "Linear Single- and Three-Phase Voltage Forecasting and Bayesian State Estimation With Limited Sensing," in IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 1674-1683, May 2020, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2019.2955893.
- Roel Dobbe, Patricia Hidalgo-Gonzalez, Stavros Karagiannopoulos, Rodrigo Henriquez-Auba, Gabriela Hug, Duncan S. Callaway, Claire J. Tomlin, Learning to control in power systems: Design and analysis guidelines for concrete safety problems, Electric Power Systems Research, Volume 189, 2020, 106615, ISSN 0378-7796,
- S. Karagiannopoulos, R. Dobbe, P. Aristidou, D. Callaway and G. Hug, "Data-driven Control Design Schemes in Active Distribution Grids: Capabilities and Challenges," 2019 IEEE Milan PowerTech, Milan, Italy, 2019, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/PTC.2019.8810586.
Participant in Stichting Blikverruimers 2020-2021: a training program to be prepared for joining a Board of Supervisors or Commissioners.
- The carbon impact of artificial intelligence, Nature Research
- Ingenieurs laten graag andere nadenken over de gevolgen van hun werk, het Financieele Dagblad
- + 31 15 27 89742
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Engineering Systems and Services
Information and Communication Technology
Monday till Friday
Data-driven control and decision-making
Energy and power systems
Machine learning and artificial intelligence
ICT & Governance
Design for Values