Prof.dr. W.E. (Warren) Walker
Warren E. Walker is an emeritus Professor of Policy Analysis in the faculty of Technology, Policy and Management at Delft University of Technology. He has a Ph.D. in Operations Research from Cornell University, and more than 40 years of experience as an analyst and project leader at the RAND Corporation, applying quantitative analysis to public policy problems at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
His recent research has focused on methods for dealing with deep uncertainty in making public policies (especially with respect to climate change), improving the freight transport system in the Netherlands, and the design of decision support systems for airport strategic planning.
He has led several large policy studies for the Netherlands Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management, most of which have involved cost-effectiveness analyses of complex problems with multiple stakeholders in which a range of impacts of alternative policies are assessed and tradeoffs are made among the environmental, economic, and social impacts.
He has been a special advisor to the Director for Freight Policy in the Netherlands Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management, and has carried out strategic planning studies for that Directorate. He was a member of the Scientific Committee of a project for the European Commission that helped to design a European Transportation Information System (ETIS). He is the recipient of the 1997 President’s Award from the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) for his "contributions to the welfare of society through quantitative analysis of governmental policy problems."
- Thissen, W.A.H. and W.E. Walker (eds.) (2013). Public Policy Analysis : New Developments. (International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, 179). New York: Springer.
- Warren E. Walker, “Policy Analysis: A Systematic Approach to Supporting Policymaking in the Public Sector”, Journal of Multicriteria Decision Analysis, Volume 9, No. 1-3 (2000), pp. 11-27.
- Warren E. Walker, S. Adnan Rahman, and Jonathan Cave, “Adaptive Policies, Policy Analysis, and Policymaking”, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 128, No. 2 (January 2001), pp. 282-289.
- W.E. Walker, P. Harremoës, J. Rotmans, J.P. van der Sluijs, M.B.A. van Asselt, P. Janssen, and M.P. Krayer von Krauss, “Defining Uncertainty: A Conceptual Basis for Uncertainty Management in Model-Based Decision Support”, Integrated Assessment, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2003, pp. 5-17.
- Warren E. Walker, S. Adnan Rahman, Rik van Grol, and Lisa Klautzer, “Operationalizing the Concept of Sustainable Transport and Mobility”, Environmental Practice, Vol. 8, Issue 1 (March 2006), pp. 24-48.
- Warren E. Walker, Marjolijn Haasnoot, and Jan H. Kwakkel (2013). “Adapt or Perish: A Review of Planning Approaches for Adaptation Under Deep Uncertainty”, Sustainability 5(3), 955-979; doi:10.3390/su5030955.
- Marjolijn Haasnoot, Jan H. Kwakkel, and Warren E. Walker, “Dynamic Adaptive Policy Pathways: A New Method for Crafting Robust Decisions for a Deeply Uncertain World”, Global Environmental Change, Volume 23, Issue 2, April 2013, Pages 485–498.
- BA, Mathematics (1963)
- MS, Operations Research and Information Processing (1964)
- Ph.D., Operations Research (1968)
- +31 15 27 85420
Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management
Room number: b2.370
Transport and water
Treatment of deep uncertainty in making public policy
Design and use of decision support systems
Connection to database has been unsuccessful
The requested information is currently not available. We're working on fixing this as soon as possible. Our apologies for the inconvience.