Throughout human history, boats have always been an important means of transport: not only for transporting people but also for commerce and recreation. In a country abounding in water like the Netherlands, boating is a popular form of recreation. During weekends and holidays, the waterways are full of jolly boats, sailing boats and water scooters. Want to join in? You may need a boating licence.

D.S.W.Z. Broach, in cooperation with X, provides a course to prepare people for the boating licence exam. Keen to obtain your boating licence? Is there so much dust on your course book that you cannot blow it away in one breath? And isn’t it about time to schedule that exam? D.S.W.Z. Broach helps to ensure that you are well prepared for your exam!

Important to know is that the exam is not included in the course. Due to the language used on the Dutch waterways, the course is held in Dutch only.

The course crams you to pass the two exams for operating small craft, i.e. Klein Vaarbewijs I (KVB I) and Klein Vaarbewijs II (KVB II). The difference is explained below.

  • Klein Vaarbewijs I (KVB I)
    KVB I is for people who want to operate a jet ski, water scooter or boat that can go faster than 20 kilometres an hour and has a length of between 15 and 25 metres. If you have this document, you are allowed to boat on rivers, canals and small lakes. For larger bodies of water, you need Klein Vaarbewijs II .
  • Klein Vaarbewijs II (KVB II)
    KVB II is a supplement to KVB I. KVB II is therefore not an independent sailing licence. You need the KVB if you want to sail on large open waters, such as the Wadden Sea, the Oosterschelde, the Westerschelde, the Eems and Dollard, the IJsselmeer and the Markermeer.

To take an official exam after completing the course, you can go to the CBR. This is the organisation that takes all the exams and issues the sailing licences. It can be very busy in the spring, so make sure you register for an exam in time!

Schedule & enrolment


/* */