The trumpet is a versatile brass instrument used in Baroque, chamber and symphonic music, as well as in more modern music such as pop, salsa and jazz. Every style of music has its own characteristic articulation, phrasing and timing. To play the trumpet, you press your lips against the mouthpiece. A trumpet player can create a wide range of sounds and pitches by pressing his/her lips in different ways and making different shapes while blowing. Improvisation is an important part of playing jazz. It also features to a lesser extent in salsa and pop.
Safety measures coronavirus:
- Adhere to the RIVM guidelines and the guidelines of the TU Delft.
- Keeping 1.5 metres distance is no longer a rule; however, it is still a sensible idea to allow each other plenty of room.
- Any symptoms: stay at home and get tested.
- Good hygiene remains important.
- If you take part in activities that fall under your X subscription, make sure you have your Campus Card or X card with you.
- Inside Cafe X and at some events, a COVID certificate is required.
Anyone can sign up for this individual Trumpet course, whether you are an absolute beginner or an experienced trumpet player. The content and pace of the course is adapted to your level and learning objectives. If you don’t have any experience in playing the trumpet, technique is an important part of the course. Playing the trumpet requires a lot of practice. Your range will increase gradually and you will learn to control the sound. We will always decide together which materials you need depending on your aims. These can vary from etude books to jazz stands and listening assignments. Experienced trumpet players can decide what they want to focus on. You may want to concentrate on a particular genre of music or practise improvisation.
Ellister van der Molen
Ellister studied trumpet at the conservatoire and has been working as a music teacher since 2000. Furthermore, she performs at several concerts and theatre productions in the Netherlands and abroad. In 2014 she performed at the North Sea Jazz Festival. Besides, she recently co-founded the band RED.