Research interests and expertise of Prof. Hanjalic are in the fields of multimedia information retrieval and recommender systems, in which he (co)invented 1 patent and (co)authored and (co)edited more than 250 publications, among which the books titled Image and Video Databases: Restoration, Watermarking and Retrieval (Elsevier, 2000), Content-Based Analysis of Digital Video (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004) and Online Multimedia Advertising: Techniques and Technologies (IGI Global, 2010). The fundamental question Prof. Hanjalic is interested in is how to provide efficient, effective, intuitive and (socially) responsible access to and interaction with information stored in large (multimedia) data collections or available on social media platforms in a variety of use scenarios involving both search and recommendation.
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Signal Processing Society, for contributions to multimedia information retrieval.
- Fellow of the Asia-Pacific Artificial Intelligence Association (AAIA).
- Awarded the Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Chair in 2012 (reserved for the best young scientists at the Delft University of Technology)
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Conference on Multimedia Big Data (BigMM) 2019, together with J. Choi, M. Larson and G. Friedland
- Best Paper Award, together with B. Wang, Y. Yang, X. Xu and H.T. Shen, ACM Multimedia conference, 2017
- Best Paper Award, together with Y. Shi, A. Karatzoglou, L. Baltrunas, M. A. Larson and N. Oliver, ACM RecSys conference, 2012
- Overall Winner, together with J. Choi, E. Kim, M. Larson and G. Friedland, ACM Multimedia 2015 Grand Challenge, Brisbane, Australia, 2015
- Overall Winner, together with Y. Shi and M. Larson, ACM RecSys 2010 Challenge on Context-aware Movie Recommendation (CAMRa), Barcelona, Spain, 2010
- 8000+ downloads of the paper Y. Shi, M. Larson, A. Hanjalic: Collaborative Filtering beyond the User-Item Matrix: A Survey of the State of the Art and Future Challenges, ACM Computing Surveys, July 2014 (listed in Top 10 downloaded articles of the journal in 2015)
- 4 Keynotes and 17 other invited talks at various academic and industrial venues
- One of his Ph.D. students (Christoph Kofler) received the ACM SIGMM Award for Outstanding PhD Thesis in Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications in 2016
- Two of his Ph.D. students (Cynthia Liem and Christoph Kofler) received Google European Doctoral Fellowships
- One of his Ph.D. students (Cynthia Liem) received the Best Ph.D. Candidate Award of the Delft University of Technology in 2012