Assistant professor and Delft Technology Fellow at the Web Information Systems group of the Faculty of Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS/EWI), Delft University of Technology.
Her research has helped shape the field of human-computer interaction in web information systems such as recommender systems for decision support, specifically developing the state-of-the-art for automatically generated explanations (transparency) and explanation interfaces (recourse and control). She in on the management team for Delft Design for Values and an active member of Delft Data Science, where she is contributing to bringing together, integrating, and expanding existing practices and expertise for responsible data science. She is on the steering committee of the User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal (UMUAI, IF = 4.131), and is serving as Program co-Chair for the Intelligent User Interfaces conference 2020 in Cagliari. She also regularly participates in high level strategic workshops relating to responsible data science, both in the Netherlands and internationallty (e.g., Lorentz workshops, Royal Society in London, Dagstuhl Perspective Workshops and Seminars, ZiF).
Nava was previously an assistant professor at Bournemouth University (UK), a research fellow in Aberdeen (UK), and a research engineer for Telefonica research in Barcelona (Spain). Please see her personal website (http://navatintarev.com) for further information.
2017 - Assistant Professor. Web Information Systems group, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science TU Delft, Delft, the Netherlands
2016 - 2017 Assistant Professor. Smart Technology and the Human Computer Interaction groups, Department of Computing & Informatics, Bournemouth University Bournemouth, England
2010 - 2015 Research Fellow. User Modelling and Natural Language Generation (NLG) on the following projects:
- Scrutable Autonomous Systems (SAsSy) project - explaining arguments between/with agents.
- NLG to inform and motivate volunteers in nature conservation (MinkApp),
- NLG and ontologies to help people find relatives in a cultural heritage (CURIOS) project.
- Developing an augmentative and assistive communication tool for children with complex communication needs, using NLG. How Was School today...? in the Wild
University of Aberdeen Aberdeen, Scotland
2009 - 2010 R&D Engineer Human-centred issues in recommender systems e.g personalization for a travel scenario using mobile phones, and how noise (inconsistency) in user ratings affects errors in recommendation accuracy. Telefonica Research Barcelona, Spain
- ENSURE looks at ways of improving the transparency and decision support for recommender systems (like Amazon and Spotify), in recommendation scenarios that contain both surprising recommendations and trade-offs (2018-2022).
- XAINL - European Training Network on Explainable AI using Natural Language
- Representing diverse views for polarized topics online (2019-2023, co-funded IBM)
- Devising Metrics for Assessing Echo Chambers, Incivility, and Intolerance (2019-2021, funded by Twitter)