Bright ideas about Packaging and our Environment?
Do you have innovative, unexpected, transcending insights about the subject sustainable packaging? Would you like to develop your ideas about the optimum balance between consumer convenience and environmental impact? Apply now for the SVM Packaging and the Environment Scholarship and win a scholarship of €4000 for your master thesis project!
Delft University Fund is, together with Stichting Verpakking en Milieu (Foundation for Packaging and the Environment), looking for master students who have bright ideas and impactful proposals about this subject. Hand in your thesis proposal to apply for one of the grants.
How to apply
Hand in your master thesis proposal via this form.
You have completed the first year of the master’s degree programme and are enrolled in your second year of the master’s degree programme at TU Delft. You are preparing your master thesis that is related to the subject ‘Sustainable Packaging’.
Leading criteria within this theme are: consumer friendliness and low damage to the environment. This could be through design of the packaging, preventing packaging, new or different forms of reprocessing or creative ideas for the waste phase.
- A motivation for participating to the SVM Packaging and Environment Scholarship
- Abstract of the proposal (maximum 3-4 p.) included:
- Introduction which should clearly explain the relevance to packaging and environment
- Problem definition and research objectives
- Expected results
- Approach: motivation of methods/technologies that will be used
- Contribution to societal discussion: dissemination and implementation of results.
- Your intended supervising TU Delft professor submits a letter of recommendation.
- The project will be carried out at the TU Delft, or it will result in a TU Delft master thesis.
Jury and assessment
The jury consists of:
- Prof. dr. A.R. Balkenende (IDE, TU Delft)
- Representation of the faculties (AS and TPM, TU Delft)
- Representation of SVM
- You can apply during the entire year.
- The selected candidate(s) will make a presentation to the Jury (not obligatory)
Since the founding in 1971 SVM’s mission is to stimulate intellectual and creative insights regarding packaging and the environment through scientific studies and research in a wide field of sciences.
SVM focuses particularly on young generations at universities and (polytech) colleges, to raise their interest and encourage them to explore the subject ‘packaging and the environment’
During the 1990’s the Foundation represented the entire packaging chain in several packaging covenants with the government with the objectives of prevention, reuse and recycling.
The intention of SVM during this period was to realize ambitious targets on packaging and the environment, on the basis of a shared responsibility of the public and private sector, and in cooperation with consumers.
Since 1998 SVM no longer has this role. SVM is an independent foundation and manages the funds that remained from contributions of the more than 200 companies associated with SVM during 1990-1998.
Frequently asked questions:
- When is the application deadline for this scholarship?
There is no deadline for applying for the scholarship and no official ceremony. Students can apply all year round through the application form.
- How long does it take for the scholarship to be granted?
A maximum of one quarter after submission.
- Can international students also apply?
Yes international students are also welcome to apply
- Can I decide for myself what I spend the money of the scholarship on?
Yes, as long as you spend the money according to your submitted proposal
- Is it relevant which study or track I follow?
No it doesn't matter which study or track you follow at TU Delft.
- Am I eligible for this scholarship if I am doing my graduation project at a company?
Yes, but only if the company is not financially supporting your project.
- On which criteria will the jury judge my proposal?
The jury will commonly decide which proposals are best on the basis of originality, level of innovation, quality, applicability of the topic in social relevance and in line with the mission of SVM.