Applying for a Residence Permit

What is a residence rermit?

A ‘Regular Residence Permit’ (also known as a VVR) is your licence to remain in the Netherlands. You must apply for the permit from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) once you have arrived in the Netherlands. If your application is approved, you will receive a plastic ID card that verifies your right to live in the Netherlands.

Who is required to have a residence permit?

Anyone holding a nationality from a country outside the EU/EER and Switzerland (List I) and wishing to remain in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days must obtain a residence permit. In other words, all staff from the countries on Lists II, III and IV needs to have a residence permit in order to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days.

People from the countries on List I can no longer obtain residence permits, even upon request. If you are from one of these countries, you may register with the IND and receive a sticker in your passport that will allow you to prove that you have a right to remain in the Netherlands.

Applying for a residence permit

The TU Delft International Office will assist you in submitting your initial application for a residence permit. The procedure is described elsewhere on this site. Click here for the quick menu.

TB screening

Some applicants are required to be tested for tuberculosis (TB).

Click here for further information

International staff applying for a Residence Permit may be required to undergo tuberculosis screening. This involves a simple chest X-ray. This requirement does not apply to persons from the EU/EER, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Surinam, Vatican City, the United States or Switzerland.

If you require a screening, simply go along to the Municipal Health Department, Crommelinplein 1, Delft, any Monday between 8.30 and 10.00. No appointment is necessary. HR Services will give you a form which you should take with you. It will be completed by the screening staff and returned to you, whereupon you should forward it to:

IND Knowledge and Work Migration
P.O. Box 3022
2280 GA Rijswijk

Once the screening certificate and application form have been received by the IND, your file is complete and your application can be processed.

List of courties