Authorisation for temporary stay

The 'Authorisation for Temporary Stay' (Machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf) is also known as the 'D Visa'. It is required by anyone wishing to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days and holding a passport from one of the countries on this list (“landengroep III or IV”).

The D Visa is a sticker that is affixed to your passport. It authorises you to enter the Netherlands ON ONE OCCASION ONLY, whether travelling from your home country or one of the countries in the Schengen Zone. Once you arrive in the Netherlands, you will need to apply for a residence permit. You will need to obtain your 'Authorisation for Temporary Stay' before travelling anywhere outside the Netherlands.

Fast-track application procedures are available to employers. TU Delft regularly uses two of these procedures, which apply to the following groups:

Read more about the procedure in our decision tree