Dr. Mulder, I.J.
Ingrid Mulder is Associate Professor at the Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering.
Dr. Ingrid Mulder is an expert in transformative and social design. Her background in policy and organization sciences (MA, University of Tilburg) and behavioural sciences (Ph.D., University of Twente) reinforces her ongoing transdisciplinary research that addresses the synergetic interplay of design methods, systemic thinking, social learning and organizational change. Her latest awarded projects Open4Citizens (Horizon2020), Participatory City Making (NWO) and DESIGNSCAPES (Horizon2020), share the ambition of exploring the value of design approaches for societal transformations.
As one of the pioneering Living Labs researchers in 2005, she headed the impact evaluation of the first Dutch living lab, “Kenniswijk” and established the methodological foundation for the European Network of Living Labs (2006). Ever since, she has been involved as an expert for the European Commission advocating the interplay of policies and bottom-up participatory innovation within the debate on the value of participation in addressing the sustainable development goals. As part of her previous readership in digital social innovation, she developed a comprehensive research program ‘Meaningful Design in a Connected City’ as an Urban Living Lab, including the setup of the first Fablab in Rotterdam, Rotterdam Open Data, and the Internet of Things Days Rotterdam. She also founded Creating010, a trans-disciplinary design-inclusive research centre enabling citizens, students, governmental organisations, businesses, and creative industry collaboratively making futures of Rotterdam.
Currently, as a director of the Delft Design Lab Participatory City Making, she further builds design capacity in the public realm through local design experiments and developing methods and strategies for social sustainability and systemic change.
- 2001 – 2004
PhD, Faculty of Behaviour Science, University of Twente, Enschede, the Netherlands
- 1994 –1998
MA Policy and Organisation Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Tilburg, Tilburg, the Netherlands
- 2010 – present
Expert Digital Social Innovation, Collaborative Awareness Platforms for Social Innovation and Sustainability, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities at European Commission, Brussel
- 2009 – present
Associate professor of design techniques, faculty of Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology, Delft, the Netherlands
- 2009 – 2015
Member of the Scientific Technology Council of SURF Foundation
- 2007 – 2015
Research professor Smart and Inclusive Society, Creating 010, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- 1998 – 2009
Researcher digital social innovation, Telematica Instituut, Enschede, the Netherlands
- 1997 – 1998
Consultancy, KPMG Strategic Vision, Amstelveen, the Netherlands
- Transition Design: Transforming society – empowering people, driving social change
- Making futures: Participatory design has always been about alternative futures
- Urban Interaction Design: Participatory design moves beyond the workspace to public space
- Co-creative partnerships: Multi-helix = triple helix + citizen (human centred) + participatory approach
- Research through Design: Doing design as a collaborative process
- ID5126 Strategic Design for Social Innovation (course coordinator and tutor)
- ID5127 Design & the City (course coordinator and tutor)
- Coordinator Honours Programme IDE Masters (general lead, and coordinator DfI)
- Chair and supervisor of Graduation Projects (MSc)
- Co-promotor/ supervisor of PhD projects