3D printing and digital manufacturing are disruptive technologies that will change our daily lives. This trend requires new skills, based on a deep understanding of the interaction between the digital and the physical in design.
Given in 2016
In this Master Class, professional designers and engineers explore enabling technologies (soft and hardware), and learn to recognize best practices in academia and industry. Example cases are presented and IDE alumni give practical advice. To finish, participants apply the knowledge gained in a design challenge.
During this master class, you will:
- understand the workflow of digital manufacturing: from scanning to modelling to printing;
- understand high-tech solutions, only doable by Additive Manufacturing;
- understand business and innovation opportunities and the emergence of the maker movement;
- understand the digital tools with capabilities and pitfalls;
- be able to connect reverse engineering and 3D scanning to the digital manufacturing workflow;
- be able to explore parameterised and multimaterial models.
- Lectures on digital manufacturing aspects (products, production systems, markets);
- Hands-on colstructions to explore enabling solutions and best practices;
- Learning by doing: a design challenge, with the ability to use our state-of-the-art lab facilities. To guarantee a successful experience, we will connect each group to a top-modeling student.