1 December 2016 - 3 Februari 2017
'Rhapsody of Ideas for Sustainable Fashion' is the first edition of an exhibition in the Library of the Delft University of Technology (TUDL) that shows an overview of practice oriented projects with the reference to the work of a PhD researcher of the TU Delft.
The intention of the Library is to offer such a platform more often to PhDs if the research-subject and -material suits in the Library-policy.
This exhibition in TU Delft Library was based on the dissertation ‘Making Fashion Sustainable – The Role of Designers’ by PHD researcher Natascha van der Velden of the faculty of IDE (defence 5-12-2016). With the installations and exhibited objects we aim to inform the public about several aspects related to the (sustainable) life cycle of clothing and inspire designers who are willing to take up a different role than many of their predecessors and become a frontrunner of sustainable fashion.
The exhibition has initiated a proper debate and discussion about “sustainability and fashion”. The discussion is not limited to researchers and exhibition visitors. In the meantime, several companies and institutions have also been involved. Thanks to Harrie van Bommel (PhD Saxion) the exhibition has been expanded with green clothing brands such as H&M, G-Star RAW en Mud Jeans, Saxcell, Dutch Spirit, Circles and RecycleMovement (REMO). It became a traveling exhibition.
From 8/5/2017 until 17/5/2017 Exposition - Rhapsody of Ideas for Sustainable Fashion at Saxion Fashion and Textile Technologies at Enschede
On 9/5/207 the Green Clothing - Bring it on! event took place, organized by Studium Generale Saxion at Enschede. During the debate, various 'green' designs of companies participating in the exhibition were shown on a special catwalk.
The exhibition also traveled to Rijkswaterstaat.
The exhibition ‘Rhapsody of Ideas for Sustainable Fashionʼ in TU Delft Library was put together with the help of:
- Curators: Natascha van der Velden (PhD fac IDE) & Marion Vredeling (programme manager TUDL)
- Bob Ursem (Dir. Botanical Garden TUD)
- Servicepunt, Events and Hosts (TUDL)
- Marcel Janssen (Bindery, TUDL)
- Matthieu Elbertse (Graphic Design poster, postcard)
- M&C-TUD-IDE and M&C-TUDL
With support of:
- Faculty Industrial Design Engineering of TU Delft
- Het Nieuwe Instituut Rotterdam (HNI)
- Brabantia, Seepje and Woolfiller
- Gert Jan Petrie (Miscanthusgroep Haarlemmermeer)
And the exhibitors:
- Bob Ursem
- Cees Jan Stam and Gerard Rubio
- Conny Groenewegen
- Eunjeong Jeon, Kristi Kuusk, Martijn ten Bhömer and Jesse Asjes
- Harriët van den Bosch
- Jet Manrho, Armeni Tovmasjan and Hendriekje van Houweninge
- Jouke Verlinden, Scott Waitukaitis, Thomas Blunder,
- Stan Berends, Max Sampimon and Jessica Coppens
- Kirsten Lussenburg
- Mick Keus (video) and Andrew Morgan (trailer The True Cost)
- Natascha van der Velden
- Stephan van Berkel
- Studio Tjeerd Veenhoven
Photos: Jan van der Heul
Toelichting Expositie Saxion Enschede